Chapter 52

I laid in my hard, uncomfortable bed looking up at the ceiling. My eyes had opened hours before and I was unable to go back to sleep. I ended this thing I had going with Eric and there was no turning back. I couldn't turn back. I have to keep telling myself that he's the bad guy. He works for Jeanine and can't be trusted.

Never mind that now, I have more important things to worry about. Today was a big day. Today we choose our jobs and get our apartments. Max would also expect an answer from me. Do I really want to work with Eric and be tied to Jeanine the rest of my life? I left Erudite to get away from her and if I take this job I would be back to where I started. Also, the farther away I am from Eric the better. It's bad enough I'm stuck in a faction with him, it would be worse if I worked with him everyday.

I guess I made my decision.

Caroline had started to stir in the bed next to mine. Facing in my direction, her eyes opened.

"Morning" she said sleepily.

"Morning" I turned to face her.

"Been up long?"

"Yeah. Couldn't sleep"

"Thinking about today?"

"You can say that"

"So I've been thinking too" she said as she leaped out of her bed and into mine "How would you feel about us living together?"

"Aww Car, I was actually thinking the same thing" I said excitedly.

"I'm sure you get dibs at a decent apartment since you ranked third. You can get a two bedroom or something" she said.

"Three bedroom!" Amanda shouted from her bed "Maybe the three of us can be roomies. It would be so much fun"

"Oh my God, yes!!!" Caroline said all giggly.

"Guys, I would have to see if they even have a three bedroom available. Let's not get too excited"

"Your such a Debbie downer" Amanda laughed.

"No, I'm a realist" I said smirking.

I quickly hopped out of my bed and went over to the bathroom to take a shower. My muscles tensed and I shivered violently as the cold water hit my body. I was definitely not going to miss this. As the water ran over me I tried to think about anything other than the uncomfortably cold water. My hands worked their way up to my hair and I began to run my fingers through it, washing out what little grease I had. As I washed off the rest of my body I couldn't help but feel afraid. Afraid of what my new life in Dauntless would bring. Afraid that Jeanine will find out about me. Most of all, afraid of what Eric would do to me if he found out.

Reaching over to the faucet I turned the water off and nearly laughed when I immediately warmed. More people were using the showers now and it had plunged the temperature desperately. After showering I couldn't help overhearing Caroline mumbling to herself as she was going through her chest full of clothes.

"What's the matter?" I ask.

"I have nothing to wear. We have our meetings with Max and the other leaders today and I have nothing to wear" she cried.

"Relax. You can borrow something of mine, if you want. Or I'm sure Amanda has something for you. . ."

She signed deeply as she threw all the clothes she dug out of her chest back inside.

"I don't have anything new either it makes you feel better"

"Not really" she huffs as she goes through my clothes and finds nothing to her liking.