Chapter 31

Chapter 31 (Tobias POV)

My beautiful baby girl is out of hospital at last! Well, I guess I don't quite deserve the right to call her mine... yet. But I would, if it weren't for stupid Uriah! He used to be one of my best friends but he still went after Tris despite knowing how much I love her. It's not fair!

"Life isn't fair!" a voice said from behind me. I recognised it as soon as I heard those words.

Marcus.

"What are you doing here?" I question, trying my best to sound courageous and strong but failing badly. I refuse to let him get the better of me yet again. I will stand up to him.

I will.

"Ah, Tobias-" he starts as he paces up and down with a lengthy whip in one hand and an evil grin covering his face. "What a pleasant surprise to see you again,"

"What do you want?" thankfully my words didn't waver quite as much as I had thought they would and I felt myself fill with anger. If he'd come for any of my friends, or Tris, there'd be a dead body in this room.

It's just a pity that it would most liekly be mine.

"Oh, I just came to see how you were getting along here in Dauntless," he responded in an overfriendly tone which made me certain that he was lying.

I shouted at him to quit stalling causing a bright spark of anger to flare up behind his deep grey eyes. "You know why I'm here son,"

"Don't call me son. I am not your son!" but no matter how much I tried to convince myself, I knew that he was still my father and that I was stuck with him forever. Unless...

No. I couldn't even if I wanted to. He's still my father despite how much I wish he wasn't.

"Alright if that's the way you're going then Four!"

I attempted to duck as he lunged at me but I was too slow for him, momentally caught off guard. He pulled the whips down across my face with such force that everything went blurred.

I screamed.

The darkness took my prisoner.