Chapter Eight

The next day, when Troy showed up to the fishman's pond, he brought with him a big box of chocolates. It was red and in the shape of a heart, because Troy knew it would be extra romantic that way. The fishman rose out of the water to meet him like he had done so many times before. "So," the fishman began before Troy could get a word in. "Let's go to the aquarium!"

Troy was flabbergasted. "The WHAT?" he sputtered.

"You silly goose! Why, only the most magical place of all!" the fishman giggled. "The aquarium."

Troy frowned. He wanted to protest, to ask what an aquarium is, but in his heart he couldn't. He knew there was no arguing with that sculpted face, with those florid lips. Troy bushed. Was he staring? He hoped he wasn't staring. "The aquarium it is!" he chirped.

The dynamic duo arrived at the aquarium a short while later. They entered the imposing building hand in hand, eyes filled with childlike wonder. Immediately, Troy ran over to a big tank. It was filled with lovely yellow creatures, and they were swimming about without a care in the world. Troy gasped for breath. "Is that..." he whispered.

The fishman smiled. "Yes, Troy. That's a fish."

Troy was amazed. Holy Cannoli! "That's so amazing. They are so beautiful, so pure, so... enchanting." Troy squeaked dolefully. He pressed his face against the transparent glass of the tank and sighed deeply.

The fishman felt pangs of a feeling he had only felt thrice before. Was that... envy? No. It couldn't be. He bottled it up and pushed it deep inside him, as all emotionally mature creatures do with their problems. He tugged at Troy's sleeve. "Come, my friend. There is more to be seen. Let's go look at the stingrays."

Troy liked the stingrays, perhaps even more than he liked the fish. He ogled at their impressive wingspan, charmingly sunken eyes, and competitive spirit. Eventually, one swam by right in front of Troy! He enthusiastically stuck his hand into the pool and ran his lank fingers over the length of its slender body. Troy smiled with childlike innocence, his face an extravagant portrait of youthful beauty. They continued through the aquarium, and each successive exhibit they visited seemed to captivate Troy more and more. He had never seen any of these creatures before, and was blown away by the spectacle..

The fishman, too, had the time of his life. He may have been disappointed to learn that a tiger shark wasn't what he thought it was, but the feeling didn't last. He couldn't stay despondent with Troy around. When he was with Troy, he just felt so... happy. He knew that he'd found what he was looking for. He knew that Troy felt the same way, but the feelings persisted.

The fishman was reminded of his favorite song, Jealous by Nick Jonas. He didn't like the way Troy was looking at the alligators, or the puffins, or the clownfish, and he was starting to think that Troy wanted them too. Am I crazy? Have I lost you? The fishman thought. Even though he knew that Troy loved him, he couldn't help it. He still got jealous. He needed to do something about the creatures that were stealing Troy away from him.

The fishman managed to keep his cool for most of their visit. He sat next to Troy at the sea lion show, and they held hands because of their love. The show went swimmingly. The animals performed feat after feat of strength and dexterity, each time sending the delighted audience into rounds of thunderous applause.

The fishman knew he should have been enthralled, but throughout the show, he couldn't take his eyes off of Troy. He watched in anguish as Troy laughed, smiled, and watched the show, mesmerized by the performers. Around the time when a sea lion named Charles was about to jump through a flaming hoop, the fishman just couldn't take it anymore. He rolled up his sleeves.

"Troy," he signed calmly. "I'm going to fight him."

"Wait!" Troy retorted. "You don't have to do that. I promise!"

But it was too late. He knew what he had to do. The fishman had already gotten up from his seat and took off for the pool at a breakneck pace. Before anyone could stop him, the fishman dove gracefully into the pool. Gasps rang out across the audience. They had seen fish before, but never a fish man! In a fit of passion, the fishman began to brawl with Charles.

Later that day, Troy and the fishman sat together on a bench outside the aquarium. They had been forcibly removed from the establishment because of the stunt that the fishman had pulled. They would also never be allowed to return in the future, which brought a great sadness to Troy's heart.

"I'm sorry," sighed the fishman, still soaking wet. "I don't know what came over me."

The two sat in silence for a few moments before Troy offered up a response. "It's okay. You don't need to be sorry."

The fishman choked back a sob. "Are you sure? It was so stupid and now I've ruined everything." He buried his head in Troy's chest and was comforted by the sensual presence.

Troy blushed. "Nobody's perfect. We all make mistakes, everybody has those days, and I guess that now I know how much you really do care about me." He paused to stroke the fishman's bountiful chest. The fishman felt better than any stingray ever could. "You know that I could never be wooed by anyone but you, right? You never have to worry,'' Troy whispered quietly.

The fishman looked up and stared into Troy's sapphire eyes for what felt like an eternity. "Thank you, Troy the Basketball Boy."

But Troy had something else to say. He reciprocated the fishman's steely gaze. "Besides, I- I know what you are."

The fishman was shocked, his gaze slipping to the pavement below. "Say it," he gestured, but Troy hesitated. "Out loud. Say it," the fishman insisted. He looked at Troy once more, and he could tell that there were tears welling up in his eyes when he continued.

"You're... you're the one I want to spend the rest of my life with."

"Oh, Troy!" the fishman replied, wrapping him in a tender embrace before continuing, "I feel the same way about you. And I have ever since the time we first met by that pond."

Troy smiled. "I don't know what to say."

The fishman blushed. "Then be silent." He commanded, "Do you remember when we were talking for the first time and I told you that I pay attention?" Troy nodded. "That's when I knew that I loved you." the fishman signed.

Troy smiled, pulled the fishman in close, and whispered "Don't you think that maybe they are the same thing? Love and attention?"

Without hesitation, Troy leaned in and kissed the fishman tenderly. It felt magical, as if all his woes in life had melted away in an instant. The fishman's scrumptious lips brushed against his, and Troy felt his heart flutter. He had been waiting his whole life for this moment. Finally he pulled away, and they sat together on the bench for a while longer, soaking in what had just occurred. There was nothing more to say. It was perfect.