Chapter 4: Battle for the Capital

Y/N's POV

It's been only a day since the enemy entered the Capital. Everything's only gone downhill since then, the defences we took so long to set up had fallen rather quickly. The outer ring had been broken within a few hours, the Militia were badly trained and the division that had been guarding the flank of the now destroyed Phantom Line now scrambled to reinforce the scarcely supplied garrison.

And that's where I come in, the bunker had lately been under fire for the last few minutes. A handful of soldiers had arrived to help evacuate me and the remaining staff while the enemy stood only a couple yards away from us, I had to take cover along with my soldiers in a machine gun nest.

Soldier: Supreme Chancellor! You have to get out of here!

A soldier yelled at me, before a bullet whizzed past, he fell right next to me as one of our tanks had arrived, with a couple of cannon fire here and there, along with some artillery support the numerically superior enemy had been driven off.

Soldier: Chancellor L/N! Let's get to the hospital, the enemy's been driven off, but it won't be long before they're back with perhaps three times that number.

Me: R-right, or course.

Militiaman: FOR THE STATE!

A dozen civilian militia charged past me and the remaining members of the rescue team. They all held either rifles, strapped explosives or bazookas.

Soldiers: Hey! Idiots! Get back here!

The soldier behind me screamed. It was too late, they were gone. Never to return again...

A few minutes later, rushing past some allied soldiers preparing for combat, a row of executed enemy soldiers, an anti-tank gun being positioned at the last minute and more less foolish civilian militia either awaiting orders, conversing or wandering around aimlessly. We arrived at the underground field hospital.

The soldier gave a quick knock, before the door opened, they all led me in as I walked past hundreds of wounded soldiers and civilians, General Johnston was there along with Smith, they both looked dirty and terrible. Their uniforms, which used to look like they were just out of washing, were withered, bloody and in rags.

Johnston: Supreme Chancellor! You're safe! Good thing my men and the rescue mission turned out a success.

Johnston affirmed.

Soldier: Had the artillery not been there, we'd be toast.

Johnston: They're probably in the thousands, possibly even a hundreds of thousands...

Me: Have the defences done any good?

Even though I knew the answer even him, Johnston just shook his head slowly.

Johnston: I believe the results speak for themselves.

He said, motioning to General Smith.

Smith:... They... Just... Kept... Coming...

Me: General Smith? What's wrong with you?

I asked, extremely concerned.

Johnston: He was managing the southern flank of the garrison in the first few hours of the assault, his fighting group was overwhelmed, wave after wave after wave pounded his positions until he was forced to retreat along with the last 19 of his 2,000 men.

Johnston grimaced, Smith didn't seem his usual self, he was staring off into the distance... or moreover the wall. Deep down I knew, if the soldiers knew the great General Smith was incapable of leading them into battle, they'd surrender... and probably get themselves killed, the enemy is goddamn ruthless.

Me: Smith! Come on! Get up, you have to help command the men! They're lost without Generals like you!

I urged desperately, trying to make Smith snap out of it. He only looked blank towards me, unholstering his revolver engraved with 'F/N L/N'. Me and Johnston moved back a bit, Smith's eyes were mad with tenacity,

Smith: I'm sorry, I'm not going anywhere.

I groaned as I looked away while I heard a click and then the gunshot.

Johnston: Fuck!

I looked back, Smith's head was gone, I glanced at his his pistol, still in his dead hands and picked it up. Johnston proceeded to slowly wiped the blood off his cheek. Just then, a soldier rugged and dirty as well ran up to the both of us.

Soldier: General Johnston! Supreme Chancellor! The enemy's been sighted near District F! They've retreated yet, we think they're about to launch another attack on th-.

The soldier paused, hearing gunfire in the distance all the while Johnston swore again under his tongue and stood up.

Johnston: Aw crap, the industrial factories! Stay here L/N, I'll handle this one. Come on Private.

Johnston assembled all the soldiers he could and then exited the bunker. One of the nurses managing the hospital stood by me, looking at Smith's body, before she sighed deeply.

Nurse: I knew some people who believed in your father. A lot did.

I looked at her, a young woman, her face and uniform were covered in blood.

Me: Yes... I know. Believe me miss...

I agreed, she then covered Smith's body with a large cloth, before hearing her name being called over to the surgery room, where a man began screaming and the sound of flesh tearing apart could be heard, she waved goodbye to me and walked off, I only looked at all the carnage that surrounds me. The man that caused all this, yet dead, was still familial blood to me...

Me: If only my father hadn't been so damn overly ambitious...