Chapter 5: The Growing Stalemate

Snow began to fall sooner at night, with the cold weather setting in, the advance of the enemy slowed down as they began to rest and dig in, my remaining general staff and I were all present in the bunker. Only a few Generals remained as some had died commanding the soldiers and others committed suicide.

General Mottl: General Johnston and his men were able to defend the industrial district. Other than that there are no major victories for us, we've been pushed back several kilometres into the Capital, the enemy's been making small advancements to the Parliament but they've been repelled.

Me: And the overall state of the defenders?

I asked?

Mottl: Not good, Zone X has been utterly destroyed and the enemy was sighted around Zone Y. some of our troops have surrendered when they ran out of ammunition. Militia units have been seen getting slaughtered the enemy, , Our soldiers have either been surrounded and are now pockets of resistance, or they've relocated to the last two strongholds. The Parliament in Zone Z and the Industrial District in Zone Y.

Zone X was the outermost ring of defences around the city, Zone Z is the 100 KM wide circle deep in the Capital that encompassed the most inportant parts of our nation including Parliament.

Me: Shit shit shit... H-how are we supposed to defend in these conditions!?

I frantically asked Mottl.

Mottl: It's simple... we can't. Capitulation is the only option.

Me: But it we surrender to the enemy, they'll slaughter us all! They're relentless!

Mottl: Yes they might, but there's a sl-

I interrupted.

Me: I may have only been Chancellor for a week, but I'm not allowing my citizens... my people. To be all killed.

Mottl: You'll only prolong the suffering of the soldiers...

Me: This is all of our last stand Mottl, give me a cloak, a helmet and a weapon. M-Might as well be MY last stand as well.

I stuttered, I truly did not want my people to suffer, if there was a slight chance the enemy would have mercy I'd take it. But...

Mottl: Supreme Chancellor...

Me: Give me a gun, I'm not going to be like my father and just cowardly hunker down in here.

Mottl hesitated, before a soldier walked up to me, handing me his SMG and his helmet.

Soldier: It's my honor Supreme Chancellor.

He also took off his Olive Cloak and handed it to me, since the weather was dropping substantially.

I exited the bunker, AA fire lit up the night like thunder while I tried to figure out where Zone Z was. A large group of soldiers walked past me some in a mechanical halftrack transport, they had patches that read 45th Heavy Infantry.

Me: You guys were the division that was stationed at the flank of the Phantom Line!

Soldier: Supreme Chancellor Y/N! Yeah, we were. We were able to break into the city. Enemy ignored us when they broke past the Phantom Line.

Me: Why'd you break into the encirclement. Why didn't you just surround the city or something and cut off their escape route?