Chapter 14- Jump

"Hey, new kid!" Michelle greeted me. "Everyone's in the back waiting on you."

I followed her to her backyard. Preston sat in a lawn chair. He raised a can of Coke at me.

"Hey, Scott's here!" he called.

I took a seat at the lawnchair between Drake and Preston. The heat radiated on my face and my arms. The occasional breeze and crackles of the fire was so relaxing.

"Don't fall asleep on us, Wynter," Preston said.

I looked at him, his blonde pompadour turned a light orange from the fire, "I'm so comfortable, though." He laughed and held his hands out towards the fire.

"The first person that falls asleep, we're gonna draw on them," Savannah said.

"How old are you? That shit's for little kids," Jason said.

Savannah just sat back in her chair with a pissed off look. Later, Michelle came out with a tray full of chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers and set them on her patio table. I was up there and made my s'more in a millisecond. I stuffed the whole s'more in my mouth.

"You really like s'mores don't you Scott?" Candy asked.

I looked at her, the s'more held in my mouth. I looked stupid, but it made Candy, Michelle and Jessica laugh and that was all that had mattered. I felt Cameron, Dex and Asia glare at me but I had too much pride to care. Drake elbowed me.

"I think Jess is looking over at you," he said.

I looked over in Jessica's direction and could see that she was staring at me. When I looked over at her, Candy and Michelle giggled. I smiled back and turned to Drake.

"Yeah, she was," I said.

Drake rested his head on his hand, "You know, I can see you and Jess getting together. You'd be a great boyfriend, way better than Cameron'd ever be."

I turned to him, "You really think so?"

"Bro, I wouldn't have said it if I hadn't meant it," he stated.

I nodded, "Fair point."

I stared at the fire, and then I lost myself in a daydream. I dreamed of Jessica and I walking down the hallway together, holding hands. Her black hair fell to her back and it bounced with every step she took. Her deep blue eyes cut into my soul like diamonds. She held my hand firmly, signifying she never wanted to let me go. That daydream faded away and I found myself back at the bonfire. I also found myself wondering what was going on in Jessica's mind. Was she daydreaming too?

"Wynter, you good?" Jason asked.

I jumped and looked at Jason, "Yeah, I was just daydreaming."

Jason snickered, "Bet I know what you were dreaming about." He signaled with his head over to Jessica and I nodded. He smiled and patted my shoulder. But deep down, I knew Jessica was too attached to Cameron and I had no chance with her. All my daydreams would stay daydreams and I was okay with that.

"Wynter, this is such a shitty thing of me to ask, but can I stay the night with you tonight?" Preston asked.

"Yeah, I guess. Why?" I asked.

"My parents took away my car and they're fighting. Not really in the mood to go home to that right now."

"You're in luck. My mom is in Tucson for a vacation. As long as you don't trash my apartment, you're good."