Year Two || Mudblood

When they handed Draco his new green robes, he was amazed.

"Won't you help me put these on?"

"No chance, rich boy. You've got to do everything by yourself now."

Sulking, Draco retreated to a far off corner of the Slytherin Quidditch team-room and started pulling off his sweater. It got stuck over his head and he waved his hands helplessly until Marcus helped him, muttering:

- Your highness.

- You wait till I tell my father how you-

But Marcus was already gone. Draco fingered the green fabric of the Quidditch uniform and thought to himself that he was the new Seeker, that it was his first day of training, that he should have been happier about it... But he somehow felt annoyed and he didn't know why.

***

They were going through the Hogwarts square when he saw the Gryffindors' red robes and his mood instantly lightened.

- Where ya think ya going Flint? - cried out Oliver Wood, squinting at their Slytherin captain.

- Quidditch practice.

- Isn't Gryffindor practicing today? 

- Easy, Wood. I've got a note.

Oliver read out the note just as Draco's mood got even better - Weasley and Granger were joining them, apparently to protect their precious Harry from any harm.

- ...permission to try out their new Seeker. You've got a new Seeker? Who? 

This was the moment Draco had been waiting for. He was too small for Potter to see behind the backs of his enormous teammates - and as they stepped away he felt like a king whose subjects had to make way for him to pass through.

He walked proudly over to Potter, whose face seemed to contort with disgust. 

- Malfoy?! 

The happiness Draco felt seeing Potter so miserable on his account was unequaled. He gripped his new Nimbus 2001 and said: 

- That's right. And that's not all that's new this year, Potter.

He proudly showed off his new broom - and Weasley cried out:

- They've all got Nimbus 2000's! How?

- Gift from Draco's father, - Marcus grinned.

- You see, Weasley, unlike some, my father can afford the best.

Granger had been looking at Draco for a while now and now she suddenly broke:

- Well at least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in... they got in on pure talent!

There was a moment of silence as neither team knew how to react. At last, Draco came to -  rage and pain coursing through him as he walked slowly over to the girl, her hair blowing in the wind and her head cocked defiantly to one side.

How dare... how dare she imply he wasn't talented... How dare...

"Don't use the word, don't use the word" - the voices cried in his head, but he was too hurt and too mad not to. He stopped right in front of her and they eyed each other for a long while before he spoke, his voice metallic and older than usual:

- No one asked your opinion... 

She didn't know what was coming. He could see it in her eyes.

- You filthy little Mudblood.

Her face changed. She looked as if her whole world had just been turned upside down - but she was too tough to show it clearly.

- You'll pay for that, Malfoy, - Weasley muttered, taking out his broken wand. 

Draco didn't even try getting out his own wand, he was too busy looking into Granger's dark eyes, wondering if he would see tears in them any second now - and sure enough, Weasley's spell backfired.

There he lay on the ground, Potter and Granger cooing all over him as he, Draco, laughed along with the other members of the team.

And there they were, running off to Hagrid's for help... Draco looked after them, the smile almost hurting his face.

The only worry he had in the world is that he hadn't seen Granger cry. But then he had their whole time at Hogwarts ahead of them to make that happen again.

Please VOTE and COMMENT if you liked this chapter!