Year Four || The Announcement + Memories of Year Two

1993

It was the last day of term and she had not come back from the hospital.

The Great Hall was full of commotion, which seemed strange after the silence of the days before, when everyone had been worried about what would now happen to the school.

But nothing had happened. Dumbledore had not been sacked and the victims of petrification had been healed. And Harry Potter had saved them all, once again.

Draco sat at the Slytherin table between Crabbe and Goyle, looking fixedly at the doors of the Great Hall. He was oddly anxious - but then he knew that he was secretly glad the whole Heir Of Slytherin thing had been over. It was okay for random creeps like Mrs Norris to be petrified - but he didn't like it when someone he knew was found lifeless in the corridor, her hand pointing upwards and forwards at her attacker.

Last year Slytherin had almost won the School Cup - which was very grand and exciting before Dumbledore gave all the points to Gryffindor, which Draco and the others found very unfair.

Tonight, however, it didn't matter to him.

For as he rested his eyes for a moment and looked at the far-away door again, he saw her.

Her curly hair bouncing off her shoulders, she seemed to stay awhile before setting off at a crazy speed, running through the Great Hall - and Draco knew very well who she was running towards.

Harry caught her in his arms and Ron stood by, a bit shy and lost, but nevertheless, very happy to see her. 

They were all too lost in their jubilation to see a pale Slytherin boy look at them without blinking, lost in his own world, where all of them played a different role.

***

December 1994

- It has come to my attention, - Professor Snape walked among them as his drawling voice brought every Slytherin to silence - that some of you do not know how to dance. 

There was a momentary stillness - no one dared to laugh even though the situation was beyond comical.

- Why the question marks upon your faces? Don't you know the host of the Triwizard tournament is obliged to also host the Yule Ball?

Someone nodded. Snape spat:

- Next time, Heracliton, I expect you to answer me verbally. Now the reason I have gathered you all in this... he looked around the empty room - ...auditorium is that I am to survey your dancing skills. First of all, I shall name the ones who do not have to be present as their dancing skills I know to be sufficient. 

Malfoy.

Kierkor-

Draco walked off without another word, Kierkor following close behind. But just as he was about to exit the room, Pansy caught him by the forearm and whispered into his ear:

- Oh you'll ask me, won't you, Draco?

- Ask you what? - he snapped, longing to get her short fingers off his robe.

- To the ball?

- If you don't stop being so annoying, I might not - and with that he tore himself out of her grip and stormed out of the room.

***

During this very time, Hermione was dancing with Harry under the surveillance of McGonagall.

- Very good, miss Granger! Mind your feet, Potter!

Hermione beamed, as she pretended not to notice Harry's mistakes.