Chapter 2: S-T-E-V-E-N

I heard the jingling of my car keys before I saw them. "Your car's good to go," my dad informed me as he handed me the keys. "I even put some gas in it for you."

"Thanks, Dad. You're a life saver."

"Yeah, so I've been told."

I got my car back just in time for the weekend. Brad and I had agreed to go see a movie, and since his cousin also conveniently asked Prestley out, it was going to be a double date. We were meeting them there, so at least the car ride wouldn't be awkward.

"So, what scared you last night?" I asked her as I curled her hair.

"Well, I ended up messing with the Ouija board when I got home, just to see if it'd work with just me, and it did!"

"Pres, you know you ain't supposed to use those by yourself. Why would you do that?"

"I don't know. I just kept thinking about it when I got home and wanted to see what he would say, so I pulled it out."

"What he would say," I mocked her. "You're crazy."

"I know, but anyway, it really works. I talked to him for a few minutes before I went to bed. He spelled pretty, sweet, and talk before I put it up."

"I can't believe you'd mess with that thing again, especially by yourself."

"I know. When I went to bed and turned my light out, I kept hearing a tapping noise coming from my closet, which is where I put the Ouija board."

"I'm telling you, Pres, you need to give that thing back to Connor."

She sighed. "I know."

We finished getting ready and headed to the mall where Brad and Will were waiting on us inside the doors. I thought Brad looked good last night, but he looked even better after a shower, with his hair still slightly damp and falling in his face. I hoped he still thought I was cute, too, now that he had actually seen me in the light.

He must have, because he held my hand through the entire movie and gave me a quick kiss once it was over and they walked us to my car. "Can I call you later?"

"Sure." He smiled and kissed me again before they headed to his truck. "Well, that went well," I admitted to Prestley as we headed to my house.

"It went awesome," she sang. "I think I'm in love."

I laughed. "Of course you are." Presltey fell in love with every boy she dated, usually on the very first date.

Once we made it to my house, we got ready for bed, fighting over my only sink.  I won, getting to brush my teeth first, and was texting Brad as I walked back into my room, stubbing my toe on Prestley's stuff. I shoved her bag under my bed so I wouldn't kick it again and laid down. When I finally told him goodnight and put my phone down, she was already in the bed asleep.

I always slept with my back towards the wall, so I rolled towards Prestley, who was on the edge of the bed, and snuggled down into my blanket, glad that I was sleepy and would soon be joining her in dreamland.

Before I could doze off, I heard something... breathing? It sounded the way my breathing sounds when I hold my ears, yet I wasn't; I hadn't moved. And when I held my breath, I still heard it. Prestley was already softly snoring, so I knew it wasn't her, either.

The breathing got louder, closer to my ear, causing me to hold my breath again, but from fear this time. My head was still on my pillow, which is where it sounded like the breathing was coming from. I froze, listening to the disembodied breaths—in... out... in... out.