Chapter 2- Morty and Kaylynn

Morty's POV

 I sat at the dinner table with my mom and sister, playing with my meatloaf as I half listened to Summer talking about her day. I was considering just not listening when I heard her say something about a student named Patrick Mayhew.

Mayhew.

"Summer, what did you just say?"

"Morty, you weren't even listening to my heartbreaking story?!?" Summer shrieked.

"You expected  me to?" I yelled.

"Kids! Kids! Knock it off!" My mom said, raising her voice.

My mom is a broken woman and we feel bad for her. That's the only reason we listened.

"Fine," my sister scoffed. "I was saying  that Ethan had to tour a student named Patrick Mayhew today, and he invited him to sit at our table at lunch. He started talking about his dad's death and his mother's alcoholism and his sister Kaylynn. There were bruises on his face, and I think they're from his mom."

"They are," I said without meaning to. "They are. I had to tour Kaylynn today and her mom is abusive."

"That's awful! Well, let her know that she's always welcome here if she needs a place to stay."

"O-ok. Where's Rick?"

"He's asleep. Don't disturb him."

"Fine."

And we ate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kaylynn's POV

I walked through the door to my house (actually, my dump), and saw my brother, Patrick, cowering on the ground as my mother held a belt above him. Patrick shook with fear and sobbed and my mother, Cheryl, stared him down with devastating hatred.

"I heard you told your friends about my drinking. That was bad. Now you will be punished." And she cracked the belt down. My brother yelled and remained in a ball. I threw my backpack down and stood in front of him, my hands out, protecting him.

"Cheryl, no!! He's your son! You don't want to do this!" And she dug her nails into my cheeks. I screamed.

"CALL ME MOTHER! NOT CHERYL!"

She let go and pulled back for the punch, but Patrick was up and on his feet. He had her arm in his hand, twisting it. He was in control.

"Sit down." Her eyes widened. "SIT DOWN!" She obeyed. "Now drink your scotch and get drunk but do not, do not,  lay a finger  on Kaylynn or so help me I will push aside my fear and finally call the police."

She obeyed. I went upstairs. No marks on my face. I got dressed. I brushed my teeth. I cried.

I thought of Morty Smith.