Part 25 - Three Thrones

Part 25 – Three Thrones ©2018 CarolynAnnAish

Joseph walked along the plush purple carpet to the dais knowing he had done this before, but forcing himself not to think about when. His heart pounded faster in his chest, then his eyes connected with the queen's, and he felt himself calming. He prepared himself to bow before kneeling; but they descended to him and with one on either side, escorted him to sit on the throne at the right hand of the king's.

Queen Lois waited for her husband to sit, then at his nod, she sat on her throne.

King Lemuel spoke, saying, "We are gathered here today, to honour our son. The first item, is to proclaim his name." At the king's nod, an attendant struck a small gong, and two heralds, bearing a scroll each, came forward. Having bowed to the thrones, the heralds stood back to back; one facing the dais, and the other, the company. In unison, they read, "Their Majesties, King Lemuel, Arpius, Charles, Justice, and Queen Lois, Elizabeth, Anne, Justice, proclaim, that from henceforth, their chosen son, will be known as Prince Arpius. His full name shall be His Royal Highness, Prince Arpius, Joseph, Lemuel, Justice." As the heralds moved back to their places, the company in the throne room applauded.

Joseph smiled, thinking, I like the name—Arpius.

As Queen Lois looked across at him, she thought, He's so very princely, and he's not at all disagreeable, but enjoying it. I'm glad he likes his names.

The king commanded, "Rise, Prince Arpius."

Joseph, or rather, the new Prince, Arpius, stood and the king and queen also stood. Stepping across to his son, the king commanded, in a loud voice, saying, "Prince Arpius, come and receive two awards; one is the Justiceburg Imperial Cross; and the other, the Zenith Emblem."

The king, with the queen's help, affixed the awards to his sash. The prince didn't know that these priceless awards had only ever been given to the families of deceased champions, in memory of heroic acts.

Congratulations erupted from all around. Karl, standing near to the dais and with his face turned towards the court, could not see any person with a negative countenance towards the thrones. He looked across at Captain Randall who smiled and nodded to him. Turning their faces back to the sea of faces, they kept watch.

The king said, "Be seated, Prince Arpius —sit on my throne." To make sure it was understood, he indicated with his hand palm up, the middle throne.

The company gasped. No one knew this was what the king would do.

"Sire... Sir... Your Majesty; but I can't," the prince stammered.

"You promised not to disobey me," the king said; his voice so low that only those closest, could hear.

Without hesitating, Arpius grasped the king's right hand, and lifting it, kissed the seal ring. Stepping across, he did as commanded.

Turning, the king said, "I have asked my son, Prince Arpius, to be seated upon my throne, because that is his right. He gave himself for me without hesitation and I make it known today, that I give myself without hesitation, to him, to serve him and love him as a father should a son, for the rest of my days."

The king sat on his son's throne, nodding for his wife also to be seated. "We shall proceed with our program," the king commanded.

Philip, as youngest and second least in the court, came forward as planned. Lifting his Medal of Courage with its gold chain, over his head, he said, "I give you this medal today, Prince Arpius, to honour your amazing courage and your outstanding sacrifice for all of us here."

Taking it to the center throne, Philip placed it around the Prince's neck, kissing each of his cheeks.

Vance stepped up next, feeling full of deep pride that he was even here. Having bowed, he said, "I've been with Prince Arpius every day for over four years. He's the most unselfish... admirable..." tears rolled down his face as he tried to continue, "he's uncomplaining, he is... and, and... he... I have nothing to give, but all my heart and all my strength and with God's help, to serve him in every way I can, all the days of my life."