2: No Winning Against Sleep

A/N: Over 30 people decided to click on this fic so thanks! Hope this doesn't disappoint!

Unfortunately, they don't escape their nightmare before it gets any worse.

Just when Tony's mental calculations tell him it's the next day, Peter stirs, his neck making a distinct cracking noise as he snaps his head up, stifling a yawn.

"Pete? You okay?" Tony asks without missing a beat, his worry flaring back up.

"Wha...? Am I late for- oh, oh, wait, Mister Stark? Did- Did I fall asleep?"

Tony chuckles but its bittersweet. All he really wants is for Peter to be back in his own bed, worrying about punctuality rather than puncture wounds.

They get no more time to talk before a man, a different one from yesterday, walks in with a scowl so heavy it looks as if he was born with it. He flicks a switch and a red light so dim it seems pink comes alive above them.

"Good morning, scowl," Tony says quickly, knowing Peter would say something similar if he didn't and Peter getting unwanted attention is the last thing Tony wants for his son- intern, the last thing Tony wants for his intern.

"It won't be," Scowl replies coolly.

Peter, who'd been trying so hard not to make a sound, accidentally lets out half a yawn, biting his lip as Scowl pauses.

"I guess you're just too boring, huh?" Tony taunts loudly, hoping Scowl will let it go. He knows that expression, he knows nothing good can come from this and he'd much rather acquire another scar for himself than for Scowl to burden Peter with one.

"How dare you fall asleep in my presence?" Scowl's voice gets no louder but there's a new, more deadly edge to it and Peter pales a little.

Tony swears internally as Scowl turns and walks to the side of the room that's always covered in shadows. He tries his best to smile reassuringly at Peter but, when the man steps back onto the light, neither of them can fool the other into thinking they're still nonchalant.

"That's a really big syringe, shouldn't you find a smaller one for me?" Peter jokes nervously.

Ignoring him, Scowl presses down on the inside of Peter's elbow before shaking his head. "No. I think this one suits your disrespect just fine."

"What is that? What are you giving him?" Tony demands, not bothered that he sounds a little desperate. There's a good amount of liquid in the barrel but he can't tell what it is or work out what it's going to do.

"Something to make sure he doesn't fall asleep in my presence again," Scowl replies before steadying the needle.

Peter's breathing is already too unsteady to be healthy but he doesn't let himself flinch when the plunger is pressed and the translucent liquid enters his bloodstream. Two and a half seconds later, just when the needle has been removed, Peter's face scrunches up and he squirms, trying to get free of either his bonds or the pain, or both.

"What have you done? What was it?" Tony almost shouts, the look of agony on Peter's face hurting him more when his arc reactor had been compromised by someone he'd considered as a best friend.

Peter suddenly jerks, throwing his head back and crying out as if on fire, his back arching away from the metal frame as far as it can go, which ends up looking far more painful than it's worth.

"Pete? Pete, listen to me, please! It's okay, focus on me, you're going to be fine, Pete?"

"I- It hurts..." Peter groans through gritted teeth. "Please- puh- please make it sto- ahh!" He jerks again even though he can barely move.