Chapter One

PRESENT

"I think you should be the one to go pick Ryan up when he gets out," Sebastian tells me as he leans against the bar I'm currently cleaning off before my shift ends. "He's getting out at nine in the morning. I don't think the guys should be the ones picking him up. After all, you grew up with him. And he's your best friend."

I smile. "Thanks, Sebastian. I appreciate it. It means a lot you told me. You know I'll be there with bells on."

He taps the bar with his fingers. "No problem, Corinne. I think it's only fair it's you. You know I'm always looking out for you. Let me pay my tab so you can close up. I'll wait outside and make sure you make it to your car safely."

"Okay. Thanks. I'll meet you out front."

Sebastian nods.

Ever since Ryan went to prison five years ago, Sebastian stepped in and has made sure I was okay, getting to my car safely at night. It's convenient since the Deathmatch Motorcycle Crew are practically next door. Sebastian is the best one of the crew. The rest are assholes and they hate my guts.

After making sure the bar is clean, I place the chairs upside down on the tables so the cleaning crew can clean.

In the back, I swipe my badge through the reader to clock out. Grabbing my purse from behind the bar, I head out where I find Sebastian waiting, leaning against my car, arms crossed, ankles locked, and a smirk on his face. Memories of our previous night's sexcapades play in my mind and I smile back at him.

I move to pull the car door open when I meet Sebastian's gray blues. "Are you sure you don't want to enjoy one more night before we call this quits?" He flashes his panty melting dimples at me.

"I'm sure." I think.

Last night I told Sebastian we had to stop our no strings attached sex. Ryan is getting out and I really don't need him to know. Ryan has always been protective of me, like an older brother. Hell, he went to prison for me.

"Well, you can't blame me for trying."

I chuckle. "I appreciate the effort. Good night."

"Night." He watches as I pull away.

Fuck, it's hard quitting a man who makes me feel good in bed. A man I shouldn't give up for the sake of Ryan fucking Hensley. He's like a drug I can't say no to.

Within ten minutes, I arrive home, an apartment, I was lucky enough to land six months ago. It's more than I can afford, but I make it work with all the extra shifts bartending at Saints Bar. It's a two bedroom, one bath. I rented it with the implication of Ryan staying with me. He's going to need a place to stay for sure. Plus, I can keep an eye on him.

In the bathroom, I shed my clothes and step into the hot shower, letting the hot water ease my tense muscles. Moving my neck from side to side, I let the water massage it and then soap up my body and rinse off. Once I'm done, I pull on my plush robe. My feet ache, my back hurts, and I'm so ready to slip into bed.

Thoughts of Ryan come flooding back to my brain. Has he missed me? I know I miss my best friend, if I can even still call him that. So much has changed in the past five years. The bigger question is will the feelings I've always had for him come rushing back?

I'm a different person than I used to be. At least I like to think I am. Yet he changed me in so many ways it was hard to see where one of us started and the other ended. We were one.