Chapter 13

Carol drove the group of heroes to the Bodega, before Dendy led K.O., Rad, Enid, and Carol through the woods behind the Bodega, following the coordinates on her holoscreen. However, to their surprise, the coordinates led to the same grassy clearing where K.O. and Dendy had released T.K.O.

"Is this it, Dendy?" K.O. asked. "There's no one here."

"I don't understand," Dendy said, checking her equipment. "Perhaps my calculations were off."

"Hang on, Dendy," Carol said. "If there's anything I've learned from being a hero, it's to always checked underground." Dendy pushed a few buttons on her holoscreen and a picture of a couple of rooms underneath them.

"A secret lab!" K.O. said, internally freaking out. "How do we get down there?"

Dendy looked around, then walked over to a tree. She stared at it intensely, then tapped the "bark". It made a hollow echoing noise.

"What the heck?" Enid said.

Dendy peered at the metal door, then looked at K.O. "K.O., if you please?" she asked, gesturing to the door.

"Right!" K.O.'s fists sparked with electricity before he punched the door. The fake tree then sparked with electricity and opened to reveal a keypad. "Whoa, cool!" K.O. said. "Are you gonna hack it Dendy?"

"Already done," Dendy replied, finishing a few words of code and pressing a button. The keypad's tiny screen glowed green and a staircase suddenly appeared behind them, heading underground.

"Down there!" K.O. said, pointing to the stairs. "T.K.O. has to be down there. Come on, let's go!" K.O. ran down the stairs.

"K.O., wait!" Carol called, running after him. Enid, Rad, and Dendy followed. They followed K.O. into a dark, narrow passageway.

"It could be a—" Enid called, before suddenly a loud click echoed through the hallway and a large cage suddenly appeared around the five heroes. "...trap," Enid finished, facepalming.

Suddenly the room brightened and a monitor turned on to reveal Shadowy Figure laughing maniacally. "Do you understand what I mean, K.O.?" he cackled. "No brains."

"Shadowy Figure!" K.O. growled, curling his hands into fists. "Where's my brother?"

"Brother?" Shadowy Figure echoed, amused. "Why, T.K.O. is nothing more than your counterpart. Surely you know that?"

"I don't care!" K.O. protested. "He's my brother and you can't do anything to make me feel differently. Now, where is he?!"

"Oh, would you like to see him?" Shadowy Figure cackled. He moved the monitor to show T.K.O. standing, expressionless and quiet, near him.

"He's okay!" K.O. sighed, relieved. Then he glared at Shadowy Figure. "Let him go!"

"If you want him, you'll have to come get him," he challenged. "Hurry up, hero. With every passing minute, your 'brother' falls further under my control." With that, Shadowy Figure turned off the monitor and the cage disappeared all of a sudden. A few tiles on the floor disappeared and three robots emerged. They looked like Darrell, Raymond, and Shannon, but they had glowing red eyes and a grayer shade of their normal colors.

"What the heck are these things?" Rad asked. "Shannon" ran at him, her hands suddenly transforming into large mallets with spikes. He was barely able to dodge in time.

"I dunno. We're still gonna kick their butts, though," Enid said, shooting a fireball at "Raymond." However, the bot barely had a scratch, running at Enid and kicking her in the leg with a sickening CRACK. She screamed and crouched on the ground, holding her leg and staring up at Raymond as he was about to attack her again. However, K.O. snuck up behind Raymond and broke him with one powerful punch.