Alec: The Wilde Brothers (Chapter 4)

CHAPTER FOUR

Alec knew that he had to tread carefully. He wanted to start lavishing Dahlia with gifts, send her on shopping sprees, arrange spa days, but he figured she might get offended and even more suspicious of him. Those things would have to wait until she felt like she deserved it all and trusted him enough to accept what he had to offer. And he had a feeling when that would be.

He smiled to himself as his limo pulled up to Dahlia's place to pick her up for their second date.

Once she opened herself up to him—one way or another—she would get on board with his attention. It was only a matter of time.

She had been deeply suspicious of him and probably still retained some wariness, but she didn't stand a chance against him. She was obviously attracted to him, and no doubt, 'out of practice.' His private investigator uncovered no serious boyfriend in the past six months, and Alec was sure her body was speaking to her.

He figured she wasn't the type to sleep with men on the first, second, or even third dates, and that she would resist him for as long as she could, which, unfortunately for her, wouldn't be very long.

He didn't know when last she had sex, but the way she reacted to his proximity, the way she looked when he smiled at her—everything about her left her far too vulnerable to his seduction.

And seduce her, he would.

* * *

Dahlia thought The Golden Swan had been amazing, but this new restaurant was on a whole other level—a type she hadn't dreamt existed. The decor, the manner and dress of their servers, the food selection, and even the menus almost seemed like they were from a different world.

Alec had picked her up in a limo, but any guy could rent one like that for the night, right? But with a place like this—how well off was Alec exactly?

Dahlia suddenly felt nervous and wondered if she was being taken for a ride. She found Alec attractive, no doubt, but she wasn't interested in being some rich guy's plaything.

"Relax, Dahlia," he said seriously and gently from across the table.

He had such a way of saying her name—like it gave him pleasure to roll it off of his tongue to reach her ears in such dear tones.

She tried to smile and show him she was okay.

"I know it probably seems like a bit much," he said, "but don't feel guilty or obligated or anything. It is truly my pleasure to bring you here and spend more time with you. You are doing me a favor, trust me."

She tried to smile brightly again, but she couldn't shake the heavy feeling that had descended upon her.

"I guess I should tell you a bit more about me," Alec said, smiling that delicious half-smile of his while his eyes took her in fully.

How could any woman resist a guy like him? He was so devilishly cute and overwhelmingly engaging, he shouldn't be unleashed on the general population like this.

"After junior high, I went to prep school, and then ended up going to Harvard. Don't give me that look, Dahlia."

She giggled, knowing her thoughts had been clear. Of course the Ivy League had been his path.

"I ended up dropping out," he continued, "due to my indomitable entrepreneurial spirit. I made millions by the age of twenty-two. Definitely expected a roll of the eyes on that one—although I'm not exactly bragging. Anyway, my brothers ended up following similar paths. Luckily, they succeeded in their own joint project, and my mother is the proud parent of three highly successful sons. Okay, your turn. Why, for example, are you so uncomfortable with me, still?"