1: EPIPHANY

CHAPTER 1: Epiphany

(n) A moment of sudden realization

There is a fine line that separates the richest and the poorest. There is none in between. That's the rules. You are either born rich, or born poor- and you'll die that way. In this world, it is nothing but total destruction. Mankind against mankind.

No one dared to speak against this. For its price is a life.

There are two ways to be hungry. Either you are hungry for food, or have a hunger for justice. And for Brie, it's more of the latter. Things didn't turn well even before she was born. It's far worse now.

Mr. Kim, the country's current leader is to blame. He wants to provide materials and supplies to those who he pleases, and leaving the other 80% to be left with nothing. A kilogram of rice is lucky enough to have for a family of five if you live on the "beggar's land" as what they call it. Meanwhile, you are advised to take three full meals a day for the President's favored people.

It's not just about the scarcity of food. It is also stepping on the people's rights. They've lost their proper homes, their meals, their freedom. So what is there to live for? To serve, they say. They love the President, thinking he is the one that gives them their needs, when in fact it's the total opposite. Dying. Hungry. Homeless. Slaves.

The only work that awaits them is the dirty work. Entertainment, Factory Workers, Slaves- you get it. In the end of the day, they still have the guts to say that this is all service to their beloved president.

Brie lived with her mother and younger sister, Ri. She grew up surrounded by poverty, and injustice. Her father? He left his family for the other side. Brie's mother calls him a "selfish git" and mentioning his name is as bad as cursing. Brie of course, is the type of kid who asks many questions, and an only way to stop her from asking is Brie being hit on her lips with her mom's harsh fingers.

Those fingers turn to palms when she questions about her father or the government.

"What's the other side Dad went to?"

"Shut up." Her mom would reply.

"How about the government? They're greedy." Brie huffed.

"You shall not speak ill of the government" her mother says sternly. With that, Brie mumbles a sorry and slowly turns away.

By the time she is in her twenties, Brie would always pick fights with the big men, and would go play with her pair of knives. For a "beggar" she has the skills of an expert when it comes to throwing them with precision and accuracy. Somehow, someday, she'll need this skill of hers.

+

Another normal day has come. Or, a normal day she thought. Her mother, who has been working as a factory worker is doing her job, while Ri, was flirting with some filthy men outside. It annoys Brie to see her sister being touched recklessly by those men, so she makes sure that those men are following her sister's boundaries. If a single hair on her sister was harmed, she'll go to that man responsible and teach him a lesson.

"Oi! Mr. Fat Ass! What the fuck do you think you are doing to my Ri?" Brie spat, moving towards the man named Kan, who was being too close to her sister. She walked nearer with full pride, placing her hands on her hips to intimidate Kan.

"Brie! You're embarrassing me! It's not like he was doing something-" Ri stopped when a knife flew past Kan, missing him by an inch. She gasped and hugged Kan, who is now on the verge of peeing himself. Oh how Brie loves that trick, seeing people look frightened makes her want to curve into a ball and die of laughter.

"Move, sis." Brie asked, picking up the knife and pulling Ri behind her.

"Now Mr. Kin or whatever your name is- don't. touch. her." Brie said, her voice strong enough that the words stabbed Kan straight through his soul. She then pulled her sister back to their place, or as what they call it, their home.

Now we all know that Brie will give Ri quite an earful.

That's not all, her mother went home pale and bruised. And Brie has not seen her mother in this situation for a long time, and boy was she furious.

In no doubt was she ready to launch herself at the factory her mother worked in. Brie is desperate to know who did this and why? Her mother had always been an obedient worker.

She has not been to the factory. Brie had seen it, but never went close. Oh if only she knew what she'll see before she even arrives.

Brie ventured to the north side, as it is where the factory is supposed to be. She can now see the pipes vomiting out thick, dark, smoke that smells quite painful on the nose. She scrunched her nose as she quietly approaches the entrance, looking side by side to see if there is anyone around?

She took a peek, surprised that most of them experience abuse too. Brie felt a slight tinge in her heart, how it scares her to see that people hurt others so much. With so much hate and pure loathing written in the men in white's smile. Brie had never felt this scared before. She has to stop this. Her hands tingle and ache for the feeling of holding the knife and maybe she can—

It all happened so quickly, she was too late. Two sounds of something unfamiliar popped. Brie peeked again, and searching for the noise, a stick was pointed at a man's head.

BANG

The man dropped... Dead.

The men in white, whom she is sure of are monsters turned around. A similar badge as his father's sparkled proudly in their chests. Her hate for the "other side" grew stronger, not only were they greedy people, but they were murderers, people who abuse their inferiors. Assholes.

The men walked nearer to the door, she quickly hid behind a fence. Soon enough, they walked out of the building, hands in their pockets, laughing and whistling. If only she had not witness their previous actions, then their laughter wouldn't be haunting at all.

Brie wanted to know more about the other side, curious as always. She followed them silently, making sure to leave a suitable amount of space that it won't be too suspicious but also not too much that she loses track of them.

"This is going to be fun" Brie laughed to herself, but then was surprised by the sight that starts to unravel the more she gets closer.

A sparkling building shined brightly under the sun, as well as the beautifully crafted houses that shines beautifully like crystals. Brie was in complete awe, but then was angrier than ever. She knew that people were living better than them, but not this well!

Jealousy. Anger. Sadness. Emotions played with her as she teared at the sight.

"How can my people miss things like this? We barely have anything to get started with- but they? They are living in luxury!" Brie choked a sob,

Oh now she was furious.

Brie dried her tears with her raggy sleeves, before walking near the line that separates worlds. How easy it is to cross the line, just a step apart. She laughed as she steps on the other side.

Even the grass is greener here...

Then she heard an alarm blaring off, coming from everywhere. And as expected, people in white starts to run to the direction on where she currently stands.

"Oopsie"

---

hays.