Chapter 24 - Demons From The Past

Art by NeverCatchMe 

Later that day, I carefully opened Vanessa's door, hoping that she was okay after everything that had happened. I found her sitting in a chair, bawling and stuffing spoonfuls of chocolate ice cream into her mouth. "Go away, Jay!" she shouted as I entered the room.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"What do you think?" she shouted. "I just found out that Declan is actually Captain Fedora, and he's cheating on me! Do you think I'm okay?!"

As Vanessa ate another spoonful of ice cream, I said, "Calm down, Vanessa. Everything's going to be fine."

"Are you kidding me?" Vanessa said as she held the carton of ice cream closer to her. "My whole life is ruined, and that's the best you can come up with?"

Why is Vanessa still yelling at me? I wondered. I didn't do anything wrong. Of course, that wasn't true. I had kept a crucial piece of information from her, and if I had simply told her that her boyfriend was Captain Fedora, then we might have been able to avoid this whole situation. "Listen, I'm sorry that I didn't tell you earlier that Declan was Captain Fedora..." I said.

"Wait, what?" Vanessa shouted. "You knew that Declan was Captain Fedora, and you didn't tell me?!"

"I was afraid that you'd be mad at me!" I said.

"I'm even more mad that you never told me about it!" Vanessa exclaimed. "Did you know that Declan was hooking up with Percy behind my back too?"

"No, I had no idea until today," I said.

"I still can't believe you, Jay," Vanessa said as she started crying again. "You knew about Captain Fedora's secret identity all along, and you never told any of us."

"I'm sorry," I said, and I meant it. Hopefully, Vanessa would be able to forgive me.

"Do all of the men in my life have to betray me?" Vanessa asked. "At this rate, Terry's going to turn out to be an alien trying to take over the planet or something like that."

"Are you even listening to yourself?" I said.

"Just go away, Jay!" Vanessa shouted. "Why are you even here anyways?"

"I just wanted to see how you were doing," I said.

"My life is ruined, so I'm doing pretty terribly right now," Vanessa said, still sobbing. "Thanks for asking."

"I also wanted to let you know that Ellen wants you to feed the Jersey Devils today," I said.

"You can do that if you want," Vanessa said. "I'm not doing anything today. I refuse to let this day torture me any more."