Chapter 27 - The Truth and Other Things That Hurt

Art by Xenoclea 

Later that day, I went up to Mr. Russell's office. I carefully knocked on his door, and after a little bit of waiting, Mr. Russell opened the door and let me in. My curiosity about my mother was killing me, and I was finally ready to get some answers from Mr. Russell. However, I knew that I would have to be cautious. Mr. Russell most likely didn't know that I was a superhuman, and I wasn't sure how he would react if he knew. I would have to continue to guard that particular secret.

I took a seat next to Mr. Russell as he said, "It's good to see you again, Jay. Would you like anything to eat or drink? I can always have my assistant bring you something."

"I'm okay for now," I said, even though I was a little bit hungry.

Mr. Russell leaned back into his chair and asked, "What brings you to my office today? I've been rather busy lately, so I'd prefer to get back to work soon."

"I just wanted to ask you about something," I said.

"What did you want to ask about?" Mr. Russell asked.

"Can you tell me a little bit more about my mother?" I asked.

"Of course, Jay," Mr. Russell said. "I don't know exactly what you want to know, but I can tell you that Michele was an adorable little child who grew into a brave, if sometimes misguided, woman." He paused for a moment, as if lost in thought, and then added, "I remember that Michele always managed to make both my wife and I laugh every day. She was everything to us - it's a shame that she died so young."

"Tell me more," I said. "What was she like?"

"She always appreciated everything that life had to offer," Mr. Russell said. "Michele had a large, close-knit group of girls that she always hung around, but sometimes I could just find her reading alone or wandering around the park in our neighborhood. She loved stories of every sort, whether they were movies or books or something else. Michele always liked those superhero comics, which I never quite understood, and she was quite a talented soccer player..."

"Wait a second," I said. "Since you brought up the superhero comics, is it true that my mother was a superhuman?"

"Where did you hear that?" Mr. Russell asked.

"I saw it in the photo album that you gave me," I said. "There was a picture where Mom was flying."

"So you did look at the photo album," Mr. Russell said. "I was worried that you wouldn't."

"Can you answer my question please?" I said.

"Yes, Michele was a superhuman," Mr. Russell said. "I don't know where exactly her powers came from, but she was able to fly."