Chapter Three: A Predator Becomes The Prey.

Jacob

     The night before, Jacob dreamed of the soft patter of rain atop a plastic umbrella, with a refraction of neon lights forming horizontal lines on wet pavement. He awoke with the memory of music, a soft beat playing distantly as though it had just turned off and he was a blink away from catching that familiar tune; and when he fell back asleep he dreamed of purple daisies. When the day finally began, all he could think of was Aster.

     Aster.

     Aster.

     Aster.

     It would appear, like always, he was the talk of the morning meetings held every Tuesday of the month by the board of executives. Jacob's business was a part of an international conglomerate, one of many yet distinctly better in practically better every sense of the word. Although he wasn't the only one with power here, he was definitely considered one of the most influential. Especially to all the men currently holding a seat in the room. There weren't many who would dare challenge the authority of Jacob Sterling. They were scared of him. He'd done things, broken boundaries, and crossed thresholds that most of them wouldn't dare. All so that now, where he sat atop them on his proverbial throne, to sign a deal with him was to sign a deal with the devil.

     However, there would always be the rare few that simply couldn't help themselves. Alexander Petrov was one of them, "Vincent!" Jacob could feel a tick form in his jaw when he leaned to one side, rubbing a the pad of his thumb against the stubble that was beginning to form. That was a name which drew him from his thoughts regarding last night, one simple name that left a vile taste in his mouth. There was a flash of red which darted across Jacob's eyesight, heat rising up in his chest when he swallowed the urge to hurt the man in any sort of way possible. Alexander on the other hand, looked very pleased with himself, "So nice of you to finally join us," His accent was thick, the northern Russian dialect uncomfortably familiar to the man's ears, "We've all missed you for the last several months."

     Not many were aware of Jacob's dealings with the Russians so many years ago, with ties that were only relevant due to the position of his father in his younger years, Vincent. The name of a man who beat his mother relentlessly, and abandoned them to an impoverished lifestyle where bread was a delicacy barely afforded to their table; where a false belief in God was the only thing keeping them alive. Yet, his mother still found it in herself to name him after such a monster. He despised going by his father's name. Simply hearing it gave rise to bile in the back of his throat. He had committed many a sin, but never did he wish to be compared to that type of monster. No, because he was his own creature entirely.

     Now his delicacy was rich, and his God was Chateau Margaux of the year 1900.

     Alexander cleared his throat, visibly relaxing in the seat across from Jacob while he finally met the man's gaze, "Distracted? If you have better things to do then please, feel free to leave." The fact Alex spoke so freely to Jacob was most likely because he had a table separating Jacob from being able to slam his fist against his face. A scowl marked his features as he rolled his shoulders, fists clenching beneath the table so as to control the anger noticeably seeping into his tone, "I apologize, my mind has been elsewhere..." Jacob trailed off, sitting back within his chair as his legs crossed, causing the pants of his suit to constrict around his muscles. He loathed the humorous smile Alex shone upon him.