7. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn Part 2

Shay rhythmically moved her hips as she sprinkled various seasons on the steaks she had strategically placed in the left side of the sink. It was the night Cash was released from jail and she had decided to cook dinner over at the guys' house. Her and Chris' apartment wasn't big enough to have everyone there at the same time. Shay didn't want to bother Cash with all the cooking and cleaning so she opted for the guys' house. They didn't mind either because they were eating. Breezey was upstairs in Davon's room taking a nap, Corey was making a few runs with Ty and everyone else was on their way to the house.

Shay was hoping that the good news of the day would carry over onto the week. Davon was running around the house talking about his son before he went to sleep and Yani had called ten times about Cash being out. Shay laughed at the thought of her family and was relieved that something had finally gone right.

Shay heard the screen door burst open and a few seconds later, Cash was running towards her with a smile on her face. Shay dropped the bottle of pepper and held her hands out.

"Hey boo!" Shay greeted her as they hugged.

"I never thought I'd be so happy to see you," Cash joked before laughing. Shay quickly pulled away from the embrace and swatted at Cash, hitting her in her arm. Cash began to rub it but continued laughing. Shay looked up and frowned at the sight of Cash's puffy ponytail.

"What is this?" Shay said running her hand over it.

"Oh, I fell asleep before blow drying it," Cash responded lazily.

"I'll do it later," Shay announced causing Cash to smile.

"Well, I'll let you finish cooking." Cash said trying to walk out of the kitchen. Shay smacked her lips before pulling Cash back by her arm.

"No, sit in here with me for a second." Shay demanded. Cash nodded while walking over to the kitchen table. Shay smiled before making her way back over to the sink. She wrapped the top portion of the broiler pan in aluminum foil and began to place the steak onto it.

"What else are you cooking with that?" Cash inquired.

"I am cooking baked potatoes, greens and cornbread with this," Shay answered. Cash closed her eyes and slightly moaned at the mention of food. She didn't really eat much the week and a half she was in jail.

"You know me too well," Cash said. Silence fell on kitchen as Shay's mind began to wander.

"Did they treat you okay?" she asked just above a whisper. Cash blankly stared at her for a second before nodding.

"I had a cell to myself and you know these police officers around here aren't on anything." Cash responded.

"Did AD tell you what he did?" Shay asked.

"All he said was that he reinforced what he did."

Shay frowned, wondering what he actually did. AD didn't tell anyone exactly what he said or did to Alana at the hospital. He had said the exact same thing to them about reinforcing what Cash had done at the shop.

"What did he do?" Cash asked but Shay shrugged. "Oh well, I'm not too worried about it." Cash said waving if off. "Was Yani's attack bad?"

"No, not really. It was about two or three minutes," Shay responded and Cash nodded. "I think she was more embarrassed than anything because it had been so long since she's had one and Ty was there."

After a few minutes, Shay realized that Cash hadn't responded. She had already put the steaks on broil in the oven, leaving the door slightly opened. She turned to look at Cash and frowned. She was sitting at the table, resting her left elbow against it with her chin in her palm.