Chapter 74

"Severus...can I ask you something?" Hermione stepped through the bathroom door with her hands in her hair pulling it back into a manageable ponytail for bed. She knew her hair had a mind of its own when she slept and had on occasion woken in the middle of the night to find it trapped in one way or another.

Severus turned out of the closet his nightshirt in hand. Though he stayed partly hidden behind the door. Their return from the cave had left them both more than drained. They'd each managed to eat a few leftovers before deciding to call it a day. Though it was still early for them, neither one had the energy to stay up.

"Of course."

Hermione pulled in her bottom lip, lightly chewing the corner while her eyes traced the lines that ran down over his shoulder and arm. Faded white, they were nearly impossible to see under normal circumstances but the light from overhead was shining at just the proper angle. She let her hands come down to wrap around her waist before she turned her eyes back up to his inquisitive eyebrow.

"If I wanted... something more between us...do you think...that is something you'd want too?"

Severus turned fully to give her his undivided attention his lips growing a bit thin, "Such as?"

Hermione couldn't help but lap up every bit of exposed skin. Despite having lived together for months he had been exceptionally good at keeping her from seeing more than his forearms. Of course, she'd had a fleeting glance when she'd stayed in his rooms at Hogwarts but the memory felt so old now she couldn't have been sure of what she actually saw anymore.

Her heart raced as she took a few steps closer, her own hands coming down to toy with the hem of her shirt. She swallowed nervously before finding her courage hidden under her feet, "Like...maybe...letting me touch you? I mean...your skin...like...perhaps you could forgo the shirt tonight? I-I know you don't normally sleep in one...and I think..." Her words trailed off as he came closer, her eyes struggling to come up from the floor.

"Is that what you want?"

His voice was kind, kinder and gentler than she could even believe. Her head already felt light but when she was able to tilt her head up to meet his eyes she was able to see just how much he cared for her. Her heart fluttered and she was sure her face was growing red, "Yes..."

Severus let his shirt fall to the floor, the hand that had held it taking her wrist. He could feel her pulse racing, her fingers lightly grazing the rough heel of his palm. He wasn't a shy man just a prudent one. He had slowly become comfortable with her being in the same room with him and even found himself able to dress with her nearby. Of course, he'd always been inside their walk-in closet but it was something. He had no doubt that his control would maintain but a part of him was worried that he wouldn't know what his body would do to her touch.

Hermione watched his mind turn, her teeth worrying her lip as she waited for his verdict. While she waited, her fingers lightly traced a deep cut that ran along the heel of his palm.

"I suppose...you shall keep me warm?"

Hermione released her lip to give him a gracious smile. She nodded her head with a small chuckle releasing the tension in her shoulders. When he raised her wrist to lay flat over his heart she felt her own growing warmer. Her eyes marked the path her fingers took as they spread out. His skin was softer than she had thought it would be. His hands were hardened but his chest felt like heated silk. She hadn't even realized she'd moved closer until his hand came up to cradle the back of her head.

"Of course."

Severus' muscles twitched when her heated breath passed over his chest, a sharp jolt thumping into his heart causing it to skip a beat. He couldn't explain the feeling between them at that moment. A cross between new discovery and a deep want for something more. He had no control over the small jerks his chest made when her other hand came up to join the first. Her touch was feather-light, so much so that he was caught between feeling pain and a bit ticklish.