i.

You say you got a boyfriend, well let me be yo' friend.

I sat on the park bench, scrolling through my phone. I was waiting for my friend Tiffani, who was taking mighty long if I may add. I felt the bench dip, but I didn't pay it any mind, it happened about five times already. This was a public park, it was expected.

I put my phone in my pocket and rubbed my hands down my legs. I was too jittery to just sit on my phone on that dumbass explore page.

"How you doing?" I heard a man's voice say. I ignored it, I thought he was talking to someone else. I didn't even look over at him.

"'Scuse me lil mama?" He called again. I figured he actually was talking to me this time. I turned to face him.

He scooted a teeny bit closer, but not close enough to make me uncomfortable. It was then that I got a good look at him.

He was real good looking, nice clothes and jewelry, I really liked his shoes too. They were black Christian Louboutin sneakers with studs on them, and of course that signature red sole.

"You look beautiful today, I would love to get to know you," he said. He had a different accent. I knew for sure he wasn't from here based on just his clothes alone, but his accent added on to it. I sighed. He was nice. Almost too nice. I had just met him and he was already tryna sweet talk me.

"Today?" I asked. I felt as though he was lowkey insulting me, but I brushed it off.

"I mean, shit, you might be ugly as hell tomorrow," he jokingly said, shrugging. I chuckled. I ignored his comment after that.

"You're cute, and I don't mean to sound rude or nothing, but I have a boyfriend," I said, rolling my eyes at the thought of comparing him to my boyfriend, James. He sucked his teeth.

"You got a boyfriend? Well lemme be yo' friend then, lil mama." I cocked an eyebrow.

"Whatchu' mean by friend-"

"-Kentrell," he filled in the blank for me. "And it's exactly what it sound like," he said.

"Don't tell me you retarded or sum," he added. I bussed out laughing, to the point where he even started laughing with me.

"You real funny Kentrell," I said, testing his name out. He smiled.

"Foreal tho lil' mama, you need somebody around for to make you smile," he said. I cleared my throat.

"I'll have you know that my boyfriend does make me smile," I said, crossing my arms.

"But does he really though?" He asked sarcastically, smirking. I chuckled.

"Yes he does," I stated, trying to hold back my smile.

"Oh really?" He repeated.

I nodded matter-of-factly.

"Well why you letting me take his place right now then?" He asked, copying my pose.

"I-" I tried to think of a smart comeback, but nothing came out. "You got me there." I said, throwing my hands up.

"I knew I was going to lil' mama,"

"What made you so sure?" I asked sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"You smiling, ain't you?"