iii.

I ain't tryna get up in yo' business girl, I'm just saying, maybe I can treat you way better than yo' man.

"Aye, thanks for helping me," I said, putting the remaining food in the fridge. "No problem," he smiled, putting the bags on the counter.

I just went to the grocery store and I had forgotten to tell James to help me before he went out, now he was on vacation for a week.

"What kinda man don't kiss his girl goodbye fo' he leave?" Kentrell asked rhetorically. I shrugged. I was always comparing James to Kentrell in my mind.

James was of course my boyfriend, who I loved very much. Then he came along, making me question everything I've ever known about James.

He was always nice to me and never disrespected me, while everything James did since Kentrell came along seemed hella suspicious.

"Look lil' mama, won't you forget about that nigga?" He asked. "Trell, I've been with him for bout three years now-"

-and time don't mean love babygirl," he cut me off.

I hated how he always had valid points and how he saw right through me. It was annoying having a human lie detector around.

"Did he even get you some' for valentines day?" He asked. I didn't have a comeback. He gave me his love for valentines day. But that was corny.

So I said the first thing that came to mind.

"Won't you mind ya' damn business?" I said.

"Aye, I ain't tryna get up in yo' business lil' mama. My fault if I crossed lines I ain't supposed to cross," he said. "I'm just tryna say I can treat you way better than that bitch ass nigga."

"Only if you let me." I smiled.

He was so nice to me. He made me feel all happy inside. I just feel like I can't let my guard down. What if he's tryna play me?

"You just love that bitch word don't you?" I chuckled.

"I only like calling yo' bitchass boyfriend a bitch," he replied, sticking his tongue out.

If it wasn't for James, I would've been Kentrell's girl. He's everything I want in a nigga. He cared about me, something James didn't seem to do.

I laughed. "You so childish," I said, rolling my eyes. "Say, I'm not childish. I just know what I want," he replied.

"And what do you want?" I asked.

"Whatchu think?" He said, raising an eyebrow. I sat down on the counter and opened up a bag of chips. I shrugged.

"I really can't stand him and I ain't never met him. Don't that tell you something?"

I smiled sarcastically. "It tells me that you judge people for no reason," I said, putting a hot cheeto in my mouth.

"See, you play too much. I'm tryna be real witchu," he said. I rolled my eyes. "Okay. I'm listening," I said.

"I'mma do you better than that nigga. He don't deserve a woman like you," he said. I cocked my head to the side. I was fighting the urge to be sarcastic and say something smart.

A woman like me? The fuck did that mean?

"He's never shown me that he doesn't deserve me," I said. "Not from what I heard," I rolled eyes.

"Yeah, okay Dr. Phill," I said.

"See, I'm tryna be serious," he says, trying not to laugh. "Alright, I'm all ears," I said.

"Look, you gotta see the difference between us. What he got that I don't?" He asked. "Kentrell, we got years in this shit. I can't throw that away for a nigga I met three months ago. Trust me though, if I could, I would," I said.

"You can though. That's the part you not understanding," he said. I huffed. He was so right.

"No, you don't understand. I would've been broke up with him if I just left for every nigga that wanted to be my friend,"  I said, putting air quotes on the friend part.

"What's the difference?" He asked, crossing his arms. "You the only one that stayed down instead of leaving after I ain't let them fuck," I said.

"Exactly," he said.

"Okay, Mr. smart guy. I got a question; if you can convince me to break up with my boyfriend for you, what if another nigga convince me to break up with you?" I asked.

He chuckled. "Ain't no other nigga like me. You ain't gon wanna leave me lil' mama."