Captain Bernard Gerrard

"I've wired the Marshall in Mitchellville. He's gonna check for any wants on those two."

"So they're your guests for a while then."

"Seems so."

"Who's this Captain Gerrard they work for?"

"Thought that was part of your investigation."

"I meant what can you tell me about him that I might not know."

"Well how would I- "

"Just tell me what you know, Sheriff." Harlan huffed.

"Bit of a mystery really. He owns just about everything south of the Elk River; leastwise he uses it like he owns it. Got hundreds of head of cattle that make this little town a prime railroad stop."

"What's he like?"

Sheriff Tubbs rocked back in his noisy chair and raised a pair of worn boots up onto the scarred desk. His hands barely laced over the mound of stomach.

"Only ever seen him three times. Once he came into the bank and twice on the train . . . goin' and comin'. He's not too tall. Wears fancy vests and coats - oh, and he didn't ride a horse. Rode in a carriage with a driver. Long time ago now and never spoke to the man."

"Don't you think you should be talkin' to him now, I mean after what his men did?"

The boots hit the floor and the chair came upright. "Trench, I'm gonna let the Marshal handle that. If he wants to raise a posse to go out there and press charges then I'll be happy to assist but I ain't taken on no man that hires armies of gunslingers."

"Well I'm right curious about what Captain Gerrard is up to so I think I'll poke around and if I find anything worthwhile I let you know."

"You do that. Just don't cross any lines I have drag you back over. That government paper you carry won't stop bullets."

"That's just between us, Sheriff, right?" Harlan gave him a warning look.

"I know, son. Just sayin', oh and did I mention he's Chinee?"

******

Charlie pulled a face at Trench's comment about his stylish head bandage and leaned back with arms folded considering the strange man that rescued him. Harlan Trench had only been in town a few weeks and it felt like he knew everyone and they all knew him. Thing was, nobody knew anything about him.

"What happened to Hubble? Where'd he go?"

"I dunno. I didn't get the door locked when you run upstairs and while I was doin' the windows he just disappeared. Must gone out through the kitchen."

"Then those men came in."

"Wouldn't have if I'd locked up in the first place."

"You think he knew they were coming?"

"No idea. He sure didn't look worried earlier, askin' for another game of cards and all."

"So where does he go when he isn't here? The hotel?"

"You're at the hotel don't you know?" Harlan ignored the question. He just wanted to hear what they thought.

"He ever visit your girls?"

"Not once -- say, why you so interested anyway?"

"Just my nature, Charlie."

Reagan Hubble had been Harlan's target ever since he tracked him to River Flats and now Reagan had immediately drawn interest from another party that might just be equally interesting. According to Pratt and his self-preserving partner, Rolly, Captain Bernard Gerrard had done some unsatisfactory business with Hubble.