The Ploy

Sheriff Tubbs stood in the front yard of the Gerrard property. He considered the men around him and felt secure enough that Gerrard wouldn't raise his hand against the law. He had delivered his message and was waiting for a reply. Gerrard stood in the shade of his verandah roof and glared out at the lawman.

"It's a simple request, Captain, and it's gettin' hot out here. What do you say?"

"Take your request back to Mr. Trench and tell him he can-"

"I was told to mention a name if you refused . . . Lantern," Tubbs interrupted.

Gerrard coughed abruptly and leaned against the verandah pillar. He stared at the sheriff but couldn't speak.

"Change your mind, Captain?"

"Get him out of here! Off my land! NOW!" Gerrard's voice cracked with anger and strain.

******

"Don't know who this Lantern fella is but the name sure shook the Captain."

"What did say?" Harlan stood in the jailhouse doorway.

"Threw me off the property. Half a dozen guns made sure I left right smart."

"What about my invite?"

"He didn't answer but I can tell you, son, he ain't gonna forget this. I never seen a man explode like he did."

"So you think he'll come?"

"Oh I think he'll come all right, just not for the palaver you asked for." Tubbs hitched his trousers and sat behind his desk. "If'n I was you, son, I'd get ready for a right harsh visit."

Harlan sighed and chewed a hangnail on his thumb. If Gerrard came to town with all his guns it would endanger a lot of innocent people, he thought, and he couldn't expect the Sheriff to pitch in. He was there to keep the peace not join in disturbing it.

"Any other suggestions?"

"Yup, don't bring your trouble into my town, Harlan. Use this Lantern fella somehow; that seemed to carry weight."

"Not that easy, Sheriff. But it does give me an idea."

******

Link leaned a hand on the wall and stared out the window. Just another day, wagons bumping along, kids running, women walking the walkway and gossiping together. In front of the barbershop, the town philosophers sat in a rough circle all trying to out-perform their cronies. Without moving, he addressed Harlan who was lying on the bed cleaning the gun he'd never seen him use until recently.

"That was a risky move, Harlan, I sure hope we don't regret it."

"Guess we'll see."

"What if he gets in touch with Gerrard first?"

"Can't answer that one, Link. All's I know is Gerrard knows Lantern, Tubbs proved that." Harlan glanced up at his friend. "You wired what we discussed, right?"

"You know I did", Link exhaled noisily. "We only suspected him, Harlan, we never had any real proof."

"It was enough for me. You said yourself nobody else knew."

Link turned around, folding his arms. "So now what?"

"We wait and see if he replies. If he's going to it won't be a long wait."

"No, I expect not. What if he doesn't? What if he just sends more like the ones we put in jail?"

Only the sounds from the street were heard; both men just looked at one another, thoughts unspoken.