Chapter 1

November 2014

November 2014

  "I swear, it's totally legit. I heard Rebecca tell Caitlyn that these new people moved in across town. Her mom's their real estate agent." Jessica Stanely said, immediately plopping down in her seat next to Emeline as she entered their English classroom.

  "And why do we care?" Emeline asked her, a fond smile decorating her face, as she turned to face her friend, who looked like she was about to burst out of her seat.

   Jessica hadn't been this excited since the two got a cute new pre-algebra teacher back in middle school.

"Because Emeline," she said in a hushed voice, trying not to alert their teacher to their back row conversing. "apparently they have like, ten kids or something. According to Rebecca they're all our age too."

  "Ten kids?" The last time any new person had moved to Forks was when Mike Newton moved in seventh grade, and the Newton Family hadn't been very well received at first. It would be the end of the word of a family with ten teenagers actually moved to Forks.

  "Yeah! I think they're adopted or something though." She explained, but Emeline still doubted it.

  "Do you have something to share with the class Mrs.Stanley?" Their English teacher asked, pointedly staring at Jessica and Emeline, obviously miffed that the two of them hadn't even been pretending to take notes.

  "Well actually-" Jessica started in a snarky tone, and Emeline quickly leaned over to cover her mouth, keeping them from getting in trouble, making a few of their classmates laugh as they looked back at the two girls.

  Ms. Dinkel, their English Teacher, tapped her foot for a moment, as if daring Jessica to speak, before sighing. "Don't make me separate you two." She said weakly, knowing that the threat was empty, and that was that.

  Jessica licked Emeline's hand, causing the taller girl to yank her hand away from Jessica's mouth like she'd been electrocuted.

  "Do you have to be so dramatic?" Emeline asked, rolling her eyes.

  "As a matter of fact, I do." Jess said, sticking her nose up in the air, before finally taking out her notes and turning her attention to their teacher.

  After English it was time for lunch, and the two quickly made their way to the lunchroom, Emeline using her binder to keep safe from the pounding rain while Jessica decided to just book it, her small figure streaking across the courtyard, abandoning the sidewalk in favor of trying to save her carefully straightened hair from the rain.

  Once they got to the lunchroom they sat down at their usual table, and launched into conversation with the rest of their friend group as Jessica pouted about how her genius hair saving method failed, grinding her muddy sneakers into the linoleum floor as she complained.