Chapter 10

November 2014

November 2014

  Emeline was in charge of taking Alice home after everyone said goodbye, and she was quite sad to see the night end.

  Though strange, Alice fit into the dynamic of her friend group well, and Emeline was certainty going to invite her the next time they all hung out together. Alice was practically a bundle of weird social energy.

  "I told you we'd have a nice night!" Alice said happily, skipping to Emeline's mom's car.

  "You did." Emeline said with a chuckle, unlocking the car doors for them. "It's almost like you're psychic."

  Alice nodded almost solemnly as she got into the car. "The gift of seeing the future is truly a burden."

  Alice didn't say it like a joke, but Emeline giggled nonetheless. "Tell me something that's going to happen." Emeline dared her, and one look told her Alice wasn't going to back down from dragging out the joke.

  Alice rubbed her temples, speaking in a theatrical voice. "You are going to find loooove." She said, wiggling her fingers in Emeline's face, and Emeline laughed as she started up the car.

  "With who?"

   "My brotheeer." Alice responded in the same wobbly voice, and she peeked out one of her eyes as Emeline began to laugh.

  "I think your future vision is broken, Alice." Emeline said as she began to pull out of the parking lot, her brown eyes seeming to lighten up as she laughed.

  Alice pouted as she looked at the brunette, crossing her arms after she put her seatbelt on. "Maybe you just can't see the path destiny has set out for you as well as I can." Alice suggested, and for a second Emeline almost believed she was taking this seriously. Alice sounded hurt. She apparently took her match making services seriously.

  "It's nothing against your brother." Emeline reassured Alice. Jasper was exactly Emeline's type, at least in the looks department. At least she hoped that was the brother Alice had meant. "I just don't know him."

Emeline was lying, almost completely bold faced. While it was true that Emeline couldn't be with someone she wasn't friends with, it was a complete and utter lie to say that she didn't find Jasper to be the most attractive person she'd ever seen, but she had a feeling Alice would latch onto the idea too much if she said it out loud.

Romance just wasn't for Emeline anyways. No matter how golden Alice's older brother's eyes were, or how smooth his voice was.

  "Things like that can be fixed easily." Alice said in a childish voice. "You didn't really know me before today, and now we're friends!"

  Emeline thought Alice was taking this whole thing too seriously, but she understood the appeal of playing matchmaker. It wasn't like she wasn't doing the same thing in her free time.

Alice's... passion for it was just one of the many quirks Emeline had discovered that night.

  Emeline didn't humor the conversation any further though, and dropped Alice off after a relatively short drive to the girl's house, and Alice stood in the driveway waving until Emeline couldn't see the house in her rear view anymore.

  When she got home Emeline felt her phone vibrate, and she turned off her mom's car, sitting in it for a second as she opened the message from an unknown number.

From: unknown
Alice gave me your number. Sorry if she's being pushy. I know you know who this is.

  Emeline would deny it if anyone ever asked, but she felt a little excited to be getting a message from Jasper, and she responded to him at lightning speed, her fingers practically flying across her phone screen, before groaning at how predictable she was.

Though, it didn't hurt to be friends with Jasper, did it?

To: Texas
I don't mind lol

It'll be useful to have your number :)

——————————
Okay I know 600 words barely counts as an update but this chapter is important and nothing that comes after it really fits okay? Anyways I'm really excited for the chapters that I'm writing and putting up tomorrow because things are finally gonna start picking up, especially in the past