Chapter 1

Soon after the Fall of Trost, Eren Jaeger and his fellow trainees joined the Survey Corps, and defeated the Female Titan. Now a new batch of trainees step up to venture outside the walls.

[Camden]

I remember when the Female Titan raced through Wall Sina. I was only 17 but everything I owned was ripped to shreds, taken. Including my parents. I'm 27 now, and part of the 107th Trainees. My friends Jack and Nicolas survived, but that was it. Our goal is to venture beyond the walls, but first, we have to brave trials.

"What are you doing, you imbecile?!" Shardas yelled at a poor trainee. "Can you keep your balance better than my grandmother in a defective belt?!"

Jack and I exchanged glances. I could see Jack holding in his laughter. Shardas didn't break Jack as he did with most trainees. He just made Jack even happier than he already was. Nicolas walked up and ruffled Jack's hair, out of habit. Jack was shorter than Nicolas and I, but it didn't impede him much.

"At least we get out of this hellhole tomorrow," Nicolas said cheerfully.

"Ha," said Jack, spiking up his already spiked jet-black hair. "I bet I'm getting top cadet."

"No way," said Nicolas, "My cuts go deeper than yours!"

Jack and Nicolas started arguing, while I started thinking. Where would I go after graduation? Jack and Nicolas had their hopes set on the Survey Corps, but I didn't want to risk my life, even though it sounded selfish of me. My thoughts were to joining the Military Police. And I did just that.