chapter one

INFORMATION:

NAME: Valdez, Leo

PARENT/S:

     FATHER: unknown

     MOTHER: Esperanza Valdez, deceased

AGE: 8 years old

BIRTHDAY: unknown

CURRENT LOCATION: San Antonio, Texas

****

The lights from the old-looking house blinded me while the officer knocked on the door.

It took us two hours or so to get here, and those two hours were the longest in my life. My mind went in a whirlwind trying to picture what the family will be like. Will they be nice? Mean and cruel, like Aunt Rosa? I told myself that I won’t know ‘till I get there. And now that I’m here, I simply can’t believe what I’m seeing.

As the door cracks open, the family behind it was laughable. It was something that shouldn’t be real, or at least not for me. They were a family you’d see in T.V. commercials; a girl about my age with braided, blonde hair, a boy around thirteen with light brown hair tucked underneath a baseball cap, a very thin woman with business clothes on, and a man with curious eyes hidden behind thick glasses.

The government’s official—a social worker, she told me—broke my reverie as she spoke with the fakest enthusiasm I have ever heard.

“Hello, this is Leo,” she fake-beamed, indicating to me. She continued, “He was the boy I was talking about.”

It seems like the lady had more guts than her husband. She held her hand out and smiled.

“I’m Marilyn. I’m going to be your new mother.”

My heart sank at those words. No one, no one ever, can replace my mom. No one. And so took her hand and shook it, hard.

“Nice to meet you, mom,” I replied, with the best sarcasm I could muster. Not the best probably, considering the fact that I was on the verge of tears, but good enough to shift the grin on the girl’s face, and enough to get myself a glare from the boy. I was tempted to say, hey, bring out a camera; let’s take a picture of this moment because it is the most awesome thing that has happened to me in hours!

Breaking the awkwardness, the man—my ‘dad’—expressed his gratitude to the social worker and the police and ushered my escorts inside the restored cottage he calls his home. Marilyn the Mom followed, along with the girl. The boy with the cap stayed, leaned against the doorway, and smirked.

“First five minutes and you’re already sarcastic. Disrespect my mom again and you’re dead.”

“Last time I checked, I’ve been sarcastic ever since I was born. Sarcasm runs in our veins.”

The boy looked angrier than he was a minute ago.