Chapter 12

Waking up to a winter wonderland is one of the things I cherish the most about the mitten state. It's like living in a snow globe that a five year old shakes every couple of days--sometimes every couple of hours. The bedroom air is chilly, and the motor of the space heater hums it's gruff lullaby. The four blankets and the fuzzy, ladybug pillow pet makes me want to burrow deeper into my cocoon. 

Sunday morning and my family decided to skip church. Mom called in a Sunday brunch and invited the Ellets. It was late enough in the morning that I should have gotten up to help clean the house, but as I said, my cocoon was comfier. I was bear hibernating for the winter. 

It had been over a month when I told mom I liked Lucifer. She just laughed and commented that she knew. "Does he know?" She asked.

I bit my thumb and shook my head. "I dunno."

"Well are you going to tell him?"

"I dunno." I sat up on my elbow and widened my eyes. "Should I?"

"Honey, you're the one that likes him." I felt like I was going to cry. I had never liked a guy to the point that I would tell mom flat out like that. I told her if I had crushes, but they were never serious. She pulled my thumb from my mouth and held my hand. "Listen, take your time. Pray about things. Do what feels right."

"Now doesn't feel right."

"Okay." She kissed the back of my hand. "I support whatever you do."

"Thank you."

TLC ended for the semester last Wednesday, and the Ellets were leaving tomorrow to go see family in Illinois. At some point today, before they left I was going to tell Lucifer, I just wasn't sure how I was going to do that. 

Now, don't think I was being cruel about this. There's a reason I was doing it right before he left. I was still completely unsure of what it meant to like someone, so if he left right after I told him then it was less confrontation. Long distant relationship sounded ideal to me. 

Mom poked her head through the door. "Jun, you need to get up. Amber shoveled the decks, I need you to bring in firewood."

I groaned and rolled over. "Hey, if you're lucky I might be able to send Lucifer out to help, but that means you need to get up now."

I flipped the blankets off. "I'm ready." I stood up then stumbled back into my bead, dizzy from the sudden rush of blood to my head. "I will be ready."

Mom laughed and walked away. She was quickly replaced by Marie. She took one look at me and said, "Wow. You're whipped."

"I am not," I said. I had one leg in my pants and was hopping around on one foot trying to keep my balance and get dressed.

As Marie left she yelled over her shoulder, "Wear something blue."

"Shut up!"

Stepping out into the snow, my feet were instantly soaked. I probably should have worn something more than slippers, but I was lazy. I pulled the rim of the work gloves down, securing them on my hand. I opened my mouth and watched my breath. Walking to the where the wood was stacked, I watched my footing so I didn't slip on ice and relished in the sound of crunching snow beneath my feet. Watching my balance I carefully stacked wood in my left arm. When I turned around Lucifer was standing behind me and took the wood. 

"How did I not hear you coming?" I was surprised by his sudden appearance. His eyes were sparkling with mischief, and he was having a hard time controlling the width of his smile.

"I dunno. Probably the fact that you were talking to yourself."

I cringed. "Out loud?"

"Of course." He shifted the wood in his arms.