Chapter 4

"Man, Captain Carnage must have super hearing as well as the ability to destroy everything he touches." Zylen whined as we walked out of class 11 C .

I laughed; "We have barley left the class, he might hear you!"

"Detention for a week, this sucks."

"Oh well, could be worse."

"How?"

"You could be transferred to a SEN school." We both laughed, resting on a pair of lockers. There was a little pause before Zylen looked up at me with his bright green eyes.

"How'd you end up here then?" he asked.

I froze.

"Dad! Dad I'm so sorry. Dad don't leave!"

"It's okay son I lov-"

"Earth to Irvin?" Zylen snapped his fingers in front of my face.

"Oh uhh I have anger issues..."

"Don't we all?" He laughed. I let out a nervous laugh.

"So why are you here?" I questioned him, catching him off guard a little.

"Oh I swam in this lake that was used to dump illegal nuclear waste and came out with the ability to freeze things."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"Well with great power comes great responsibility... I didn't get the responsibility memo so I pulled off some sick pranks which landed me here."

"That's fucking awesome!"

"Last time I go skinny dipping." He chimed in.

I looked at my timetable for this morning, looks like I have to speak to my personal guidance counsellor for first period.

"Hey is Necro strict or anything?" I asked Zylen.

"Her? Oh my you're so lucky, she's so chill bro. Is that your support counsellor then?"

"Yeah."

"Sick, I have a grumpy old fart who tells me to smile and meditate. Anyway gotta run, first period is about to start. Meet me in the cafeteria at break, I'll introduce you to my mates!" He trailed as he ran towards the math department.

I waved and headed down the stairs to meet this 'Necro' woman.

Knock knock.

"Come in dear." A classy voice came from the other side of the door.

I turned the door knob and entered the room. Immediately, I was hit in the face with a sweet aroma. On the desk burned some incense. A woman dressed in jeans and a plain shirt leaned back on the edge of her desk drinking what seemed to be coffee. She had her light brown hair in a tight ponytail and wasn't wearing any shoes.

She pursed her glossy lips; "Take a seat." She gestured to the big cushioned chair in front of her. I sat down, resting my bag on my knees.

"The name is Necro."

"Irvin." I looked down at her bare feet. I must have given them a puzzled look as Necro just giggled and took another sip of her coffee. I have never heard of a hero named 'Necro' before, was she knew or old?

"Necro is short for necromancer, I'm a retired hero. Haven't battled in the streets for centuries." She spoke.

"Oh you read minds?"

"No, you're staring at my name badge, I assumed you didn't know who I was."

"Oh." Is all I could add.

"I'm a witch who specialises in controlling bodies, specifically organs. In my prime, I could control the dead. However all that stuff is past me. Now enough about me, how's your first day at Greenfield been?"

I nodded as I tried to process the sudden burst of information.

"So you've been good then?"

Again I nodded, rehearsing this mornings events with Ike and his gang in my mind.

"Don't fuck with a witch." My jaw dropped. Can she talk to me that way? My heart started to speed up and my breathing became shallow.

"I saw your little brawl in the corridor. Yes I could have stopped it however, I was testing you, you are a new client of mine after all. You failed." She winked, resting her coffee next to the incense. Necro pulled out a file from behind her. At the top, it was labelled 'Matthews. I', my name. I watched as she flipped over to the first page; a picture of myself was stuck onto the sheet. I read all my personal information for example, date of birth, abilities, height. At the bottom of the page had a section about why I was transferred to Greenfield; "Student displays sudden outbursts of anger which cause the teenager to use his abilities of telekinesis and space bending without control. Because of this, innocent lives have been put to risk and the student is now a threat to society. He should be transferred to a school more equipped to handle his anger so he can acquire the proper skills to control his powers." There was more to it but Necro retracted the file from my gaze.

"You see now, I work with behavioural management in this school. What I showed you wasn't your full file, there's more,a lot more. I have been asked to pay extra attention to you throughout your time here at this school. I also have the authority to stop you from graduating if I think you are unfit to become a sidekick, let alone a superhero. Is that clear?"

I felt the veins in my head throb, was she trying to intimidate me? My fingers twitched with acrimony. Out off nowhere, I stopped breathing. My lungs yearned for oxygen and my heart was beating rapidly. Pressure built up in my brain and I felt like my head was going to explode.

"I wouldn't try to pull any tricks little one. I have full control over your body. Keep your body in check Trigger-fingers." When she stopped speaking, the pressure gave out. I wheezed, letting my lungs fill up with air.

"Now the scaring you shitless part is over, let's have some fun." She added, holding eye contact with me. She lifted herself up from her desk and took a seat on to her office chair. It was like seeing a completely different person. Her whole persona had changed, she even let down her hair which looked longer than her body. I was beckoned into a sense of security as she bore her teeth at me with a welcoming smile.

Still cautious and mildly panicked, I sat still and just watched her like a deer stuck in headlights. She bent down from her chair to open up her draw and picked out a jar full of lollipops. After Necro removed the lid, she pushed the jar towards me. I was still reluctant so I shook my head.

"Nervous? Making friends not your thing?" Necro said condescendingly.

"Huh? I'm not shy. I like making new friends." I responded, trying to act casual.

"That's not what I saw. Right before you got your knickers in a twist; you were walking down that corridor alone like a pig in a slaughter house!"

"I don't get anxiety when it comes to meeting new people... It's just..." I was hesitant.

"You don't want anyone to know about your past."

"How did you-" I cut myself off. She had read my file, she must have put two and two together. Plus, she's trained with this stuff. She just smiled again which made me cringe slightly.

After an awkward silence, she bent down again and pulled out a ball from her draw; "Let's play a game." She spoke with an impish tone to her voice and a mischievous look in her eyes.