Nagisa Has Feelings, Too

"You know, Rei, some people think the only emotion I have is happiness. Like I'm incapable of being sad or angry."

Nagisa turns his head to watch Rei's reaction at his words. He was being very self-conscious, although he didn't need to. They were far from the busy city in the countryside where they could have some peace. Nagisa had asked Rei to walk with him for a bit, but hadn't spoken until now.

"What do you mean by that?" Rei's purple eyes glitter with curiosity.

"I'm always so happy and fun-loving that maybe they think I've never been anything other than happy." He sighs, then murmurs quietly. Rei can barely make out what he says.

"Sometimes I believe them."

"Well, if you get upset about them that means they're wrong, right?"

"It's not that easy, Rei."

Nagisa keeps his voice quiet and his tone neutral.

The two are silent. Rei watches some leaves fall from the nearby trees. Summer will be ending soon. After thinking for some time, Rei decides to speak.

"But it is, isn't it? If you get upset it means they're wr-"

"It doesn't count if I get upset by them because that would just mean they're right!"

Rei looks at Nagisa sadly.

Nagisa sighs and begins to walk farther into the countryside.

"Hey, Nagisa.."

Nagisa ignores him and keeps walking away, looking down.

Rei sighs and looks down, letting him go.

That's the only thing he could do right now.

How could Rei begin to comfort someone such as Nagisa..?