12.2

12.2
( doubt. )

☆ ★ ☆

iris

"You and Agent Morgan watched Declan Doyle for two months."

"Yes, sir," Iris says, her hands crossed neatly in front of her as she stares straight at Mr Cramer, the Chairman, sat at the centre of the row of occupied seats. She's in a courtroom, the wide room completely cold because it's so empty, but the seat is warm beneath her — apart from Spencer, she's the last in her team to take this seat. "We knew that Doyle would be looking for his son, so we observed the child in order to protect Declan, and locate Doyle."

Senator Cramer only frowns, then examines the file on his grand wooden desk, before he looks up again. Even across the wide, ostentatiously designed room, she can see his eyes are narrowed. "Round-the-clock surveillance requires constant presence," he states.

"When we weren't in the field, one of us was watching him," Iris says evenly, voice cool.

"And when you were on a case?"

"Agent Morgan had cameras for surveillance, sir."

Senator Cramer leans forward. "Under what authority, Agent?" he demands, voice abruptly turning cold. "A personal vendetta doesn't allow you to go rogue." The final words is spoken mockingly.

"Senator, this was not about a personal vendetta," Iris says, having to make an actual effort to keep her cold voice even. "We needed to protect this child. Doyle is an international criminal and terrorist, so forgive us for wanting to keep his son out of harms way."

She only realises how terrible of a choice it was to say that, once she's heard the words in her own voice. To the tape, and the row of Chairmen, it'll definitely sound like she's losing her temper. Okay, whoa, chill, she tells herself.

"We had to find him — Doyle — eventually, and his son was our best way to do that," she finishes. "But our number one priority was keeping him safe."

"And what was the plan once you found Doyle?"

"Lock down security on his son," Iris answers, "and then move in on Doyle."

☆ ★ ☆

Somewhat struggling to walk in her tight pencil skirt and matching high-heels, all black, Garcia is hurrying down the hallway toward them the moment Iris is entering work with Morgan the Monday after her birthday weekend. Thirty — it's big deal.

"It's him! its him!" she cries frantically, making them both look up. Seeing her urgency, Iris' face drops and she hurries over to meet her halfway down the hall. "I'm pretty sure its him!" She's breathing heavily. "I've caught his face on surveillance footage and he's not exactly smiling for the camera — "