Chapter 8

"How long do you think lockup will last today?"

"Hm?" I replied. Alex and I had been sitting in the mess hall for two hour now. The convent was closed today due to enemy aircraft sightings within a three kilometre radius. All civilians had to be in their shelters unless they needed to go the latrines or the mess hall. Every soldier was busy patrolling and reporting so we avoided being locked up at home.

"It's been ages since the last one so do you think we'll survive this one?" He continued. I tapped his knuckle with my spoon.

"Don't be an idiot," I scoffed. "Course we are. Whoever's up there isn't gonna destroy us, especially with several other bases within driving distance surrounding our East side."

"I know, I know, jeez," he snapped, rubbing his throbbing hand. "It was a joke." He picked up his own spoon and scooped some cereal. "Imagine if they built up a compound in the dustbowl."

I shrugged. There was no point trying. We destroyed it so badly; the drinking water would be contaminated within a day. I finished up breakfast and pushed my bowl away. "What are we gonna do all day Alex? It's depressing sitting around idly, waiting for danger to be less imminent."

"What, did the prisoners disown you or something?" He asked.

"No, they're not allowed out of the cell today. Everyone's afraid that aircraft's looking for them. I would've dressed up and dropped in to see them but I reckoned you needed the company more than they did."

"Yeah right!" He snorted. "They have people watching their cell so you couldn't sneak in even if you wanted to!"

I waved my hand at him. "I've got an idea. Why don't we go vent-crawling?"

"Pass," he grumbled.

"Okay... How about a paintball fight?"

"Nah."

"Maybe we could pull a prank on that newly promoted officer- what was her name- Preach?"

"Maybe not."

"You're no fun," I huffed.

"And you have bad ideas," he muttered, resting his cheek on the tabletop.

"So you admit you're no fun?" I sneered.

"Whatever. When you come up with something interesting to do that doesn't get in anyone's way, I'm all ears."

I slumped back in my chair. Alex's biggest downfall was that he had obvious signs of our parent's blood. While he didn't condone the violence, he loved to stick to the rules.

"What if we joined the patrollers? We'd be allowed to move freely then."

"I'm not in the mood to be yelled at."

I groaned. "Do you have an idea, Genius?"

"Nope," he responded.

My feet scuffled against the ground. Back and forth and back and forth, my boots slid across the floor, generating a squeaking sound.

"Cut it out," Alex moaned. I slowed down. Then I sped up again. The world felt merciful today.

"Rosie, are you deaf?"

"Wait," I said. My head flopped backwards and for a moment, all I could hear was my scuffling. I stood up violently in excitement.

"I got it! Let's go skating!"

"Woah!" He cried, falling off his chair at my sudden jump. "What are we doing?"

"Come on, trust me, you'll love this!" I urged. I chucked our bowls on the stacking tray and pulled Alex out of the hall.