Chapter 15

We all congregated in the middle of the cell. Prince pulled out the map of the compound- which luckily didn't get any of the pink dye on it- and handed it to Dante with a pencil. Dante lay it down on the ground and began drawing on it. They all crouched down around the map. Prince motioned for me to crouch down next to him.

"Alright boys- and girl now- it's just another escape. The exception this time is these guards aren't lazy. We don't know how or why but they've become quite aggressive towards us recently so I don't want any screwing around. I'm looking at you, Wings."

Gabriel grinned cheekily. "Fine," he replied mischievously.

Prince took off one of his shoes and chucked it at Gabriel. It whacked him on the forehead, leaving a little red mark. "I'm being serious here; we're not used to alert adversaries. And they sure as hell won't be pleased to find we've got the head's daughter."

Gabriel rubbed the red spot. "Sorry Prince," he mumbled.

"Don't worry about it. So, Dogs is going to go over the plan we have in place. Pinks, if you think you see a better route or if anything we've devised leads us straight into trouble, now would be the time to speak up."

I looked over the map and noticed several markings over certain areas. Arrows branched from the prison block all around the base; some places were crossed out; the gates leading out of the base were shaded and a number of areas were circled.

Dante cleared his throat. "The way I want to go about this is I want us to be out of the enemy's eye for as long as possible. Of course, it's inevitable we'll come across some problems but let's keep it to a minimum. Once we're out of the cell, I propose we head just down this hall and out that window over there."

I got up and walked over to the door, peering through the bars. I noticed the window Dante was referring to and instantly jumped in.

"That won't work," I said.

They all looked over expectantly. "How come?" Dante asked.

I shut my eyes and pressed my fingers to my temples. "If I remember correctly, that window is on the wall that joins with the south fence. The gap in-between is only so big. If you were to drop down there, you'd either get cut up by the barbwire fence or land in the minefield."

Dante nodded. "Okay, so what should we do?"

I looked over at the adjoining cell. "Well, we could open the door to the other cell and get out the window I normally come in through."

He frowned. "Thing is, we're not all headed in the same direction so at least if we were on the South side, we could both take an ideal path."

I looked back out at an opposite cell. "What if some of us went out the East side then? There should be a bigger gap there since that was where the East gate is."

He shrugged. "Alright, that'll work." He pulled out a pencil and crossed out his original line and redirected it through my path.

"So, after we've exited the cell, we split up and escape the prison block through these windows. Wings and Drifter, you will go through the adjacent cell and make your way to the shelters. You are to cause some sort of disturbance there. Since it is full of civilians, it should be enough to draw the attention of any guards in our way. After that, head into the mess hall. According to the map, there's a kitchen in which you can grab what we need to sustain our energy for the next few days."

I interrupted again. "What about the staff in there?"

He snorted. "We've got distractions ready when need be. Anyway, once they've got everything, they'll need to draw the attention of anyone who may be near the store room next to the exercise yard at this time. Do whatever it takes but don't get caught. In fact, as soon as you set off the distraction, go straight to Pinks' old house. Her room should have a window facing the South gate. Wait there until Prince gives the signal. When you see it, double-back to the prison and cross over to the exercise yard. Hide in the shipping container until we get back. That shouldn't be too hard since we'll have the attention of the guards at this time." Dante briefly looked over at me. I nodded, indicating him to continue.