Chapter 2

A/N

Please vote and let me know in the comments what you think of the story so far. I have a plan for how this book is going to go, but I still have a lot to figure out. So, I apologize in advance for the sporadic updates :)

***David's POV***

As Ant and Dec introduced us, the four of us walked into the theater. We made our way to our seats and I saw that I was seated on one of the ends of the panel, next to Alesha. Amanda and Simon were seated further away on the left of the panel. As we sat there waiting for the acts to begin, my nerves came flooding back. How was I going to buzz someone off and know I was making them feel bad? What if the other judges think I'm an idiot because I say something stupid? I felt someone, Alesha, tapping my arm to get my attention. I looked over and saw my fellow judges and the audience staring at me expectantly. Simon had a microphone in his hand and was facing the audience as if he was talking to them. I think he asked me a question, but I had been so worried that I had zoned out.

"Sorry, could you repeat that?" I smiled sheepishly.

Simon laughed, "I asked if you thought you were ready to be a judge on BGT."

I gave the crowd a smirk and said, "Well Simon, I think I'm more than ready to begin my quest to becoming the nation's favorite TV judge."

The audience absolutely loved that and I earned myself some cheers and laughs. Alesha and Amanda were impressed that I was teasing Simon on my first day and were laughing as well. 

"Well, now seems as good a time as any to start the show, I suppose," Ant says as he walks to center stage.

And with that, the show began. Our first act was a man named John who called himself "Anger Man". He literally was just yelling things like "SHUT UP" and "LEAVE ME ALONE" into the microphone. Amanda pushed her buzzer immediately and Simon and Alesha followed suit. I also tried to buzz him off, but my freaking buzzer wasn't working. I had to take off one of my shoes and whack the buzzer with it repeatedly to get the stupid thing to work. Everyone in the building was laughing, including "Anger Man". It's safe to say that after that fiasco, I no longer had any worries about buzzing people off the show. 

The next few acts were your normal BGT acts. Some of them were outstanding and others were absolutely terrible. By the end of the first day of auditions, I was exhausted. The one saving grace was that I had gotten to be very close with my fellow judges. Every time there was a break we would start talking to each other and we had some funny banter going back and forth between us.

 I think the funniest thing that happened during the show was when a woman, Mena Swift, came on and started swaying and dancing to the song "Eye of The Tiger" by Survivor. The intro was playing and Mena was sort of dancing when Simon raised his hand to stop the music. Just as the music stopped, the woman began to sing.  

Alesha turns to Simon, "She was just about to sing!"

 I stand up and walk over to Simon, "She was just about to sing,"  I'm jokingly yelling and pointing in Simon's face, "That was the actual point where the singing starts!!".

Simon laughs as he says,"I thought you were just gonna dance. Sorry, I beg your pardon."

I walk back to my chair and point at him, "Don't interrupt anyone again.".

When the first day ended, all four of us and Ant and Dec headed backstage to get ready to go home. As we were walking back to the dressing room, Alesha came up next to me and told me how I had been really funny and how refreshing my humor was on the show. I couldn't believe that I had done well. The teasing and joking around had just come naturally. When we got backstage, Ant and Dec each gave me a handshake and said "well done, mate." before heading to a bar together. Alesha and Amanda both gave me a hug and told me they would see me tomorrow and then they left to go get dinner. That left me and Simon alone.

"David..."

My heart was pounding. Oh god, he's going to yell at me for teasing him. Maybe he'll fire me. Oh god, what if he fires me? Before I could stop myself, I blurted out, "Please don't fire me! I promise I won't make jokes anymore!"

Simon couldn't help it. He burst out laughing, "Oh my god David, do you actually think I'm going to fire you?" I nodded, "I was going to tell you that you were bloody hilarious out there. Everybody in the entire theater was laughing, including me."

A blush rose in my cheeks and I looked down embarrassedly, "I was worried that I had taken it too far. My ex-wife always said that I joked around too much and took everything too far."

"Well, if that's you taking it too far, then as the creator of the show I'm telling you that we need you to take it too far every single night. Like I said, you were brilliant tonight." 

Without thinking, I pulled Simon in for a hug and thanked him. When we pulled away, I noticed that I wasn't the only one blushing. I shook the thought of Simon blushing from my brain, knowing that he was definitely not into me, and said goodbye. As I headed to my car that night, I was only thinking of one thing: Simon f*cking Cowell.