The IV and Your Hospital Bed

When I wake up, I'm laying in a hospital bed connected to what seems like a sea of wires and machines. Patrick and Pete's sitting beside me. I try to talk, but I have a tube in my mouth. I try to wave my hand at them, but all it will do is barely move. But that movement is enough to catch Patrick's attention. He tells Pete to go get the doctor, and Pete runs out of the room. Patrick limps over to my side and grabs my hand.

"Listen to me. You're going to be alright. Just be still until the doctors come in here," he says.

The doctors come running in the room asking me questions left and right, and they finally decide to take me off all the machines.

Once they do that and leave the room, I softly ask, "How'd we get here?"

Pete says, "After the wreck, they had to airlift you and Brendon here. The rest of us had to go to a different hospital because are injuries weren't as serious."

I put a shaky hand on my head and ask, "Can one of you explain where the others are, what caused the wreck, and what everyone's injuries are?"

They exchange worried glances, but Patrick says, "We were hit from the back by a eighteen wheeler. The windows shattered, the tour bus flipped and rolled, and went in the woods. That's when a tree came through your and Brendon's window. The last thing I saw before we were rescued was Brendon pushing you out of the way....Then I remember seeing the EMTs putting a breathing tube down your throat, and them giving Brendon the same thing. I remember being taken to the hospital and being put in the same room as Pete. The injuries on us like I said are minor. I have a twisted ankle and wrist, Joe has a cracked rib, Andy has a broken arm, Pete had a sorta serious concussion, Dallon has a broken leg, and Kenneth has a broken wrist. You have a broken wrist and deep cuts, but you had a severe concussion, internal bleeding, almost lost your leg, would have spells where you would stop breathing, and you we're in a coma for a week and a half. But everyone has bruises and scratches. Everyone else are getting something to eat or around visiting," Patrick says.

 My heart starts to beat faster because they never did mention Brendon.

"Tell me what's happening or happened to Brendon," I say getting louder with each word I say.

Again they give each other a worried glance, but Pete says, "He... um... they don't know if he'll live or not. He's still alive right now, but barely. When they rescued us, they found Brendon trapped beneath the tree and the seat. He was knocked out cold, and bleeding from the mouth. He barely had a pulse. When they got him here, they found out he had a broken leg, bleeding and swelling of the brain, and deep cuts. They had to do emergency surgery, and we're lucky he survived that. He's been in a coma everyday since then. The doctors' say that it's a very slim chance he'll make it through."

My world immediately comes crashing to a halt. I throw back the blankets and climb out of bed. As soon as I put pressure on my right leg, a red hot wave of pain shoots up it. I bite my lip to contain a gasp of pain. I hobble over to the door, but Pete and Patrick stand in the doorway.

"Get out of my way guys," I say.

"No, you get back in bed, so you won't rip your stitches, " Patrick demands.

"No, I'm going to see Brendon," I say.

Pete puts his hand on Patrick's shoulder and says, "Just go get a wheelchair or something, so she can go see him."

Patrick reluctantly goes and gets the wheelchair.  I sit in it, and they roll me down the hallway to a ICU room. In the middle of the room, Brendon's laying on a hospital bed connected to a million machines.

Pete says, "Why don't we leave her alone. Come on, Dallon, Patrick, and Joe. "

As soon as they leave, I roll over to Brendon's side and hold his freezing cold hand. His face is completely drained of color and his arms and hands are bruised purple and blue. This is all because of me. I can't contain the tears any longer. They come pouring down my face.

"This can't be happening. Not to you... not to us. You should've let the tree crush me. I should be laying in your spot. You don't deserve this. I have to be dreaming. That's it... any moment I'll wake up in the hotel beside you, and we'll be wearing our underwear. I have to be dreaming," I whisper in his ear.

 I pinch myself again and again, but I won't wake up.

"Okay this isn't a dream. I love you Breny Boo, don't leave me... don't leave all your friends and family and fans. You're my everything. Don't leave me in this messed up world. I can't live in a world where you don't exist... I can't. Fight for your life," I choke out the last few words.

As the tears continue to roll down my face, the beeping stops and turns into a continuous beep. Before I can even process what's going on, doctors and nurses come running in. They roll me out into the hallway and start to revive Brendon.