Chapter 6

As Veronica and Jughead ran from the school, she could only think of Archie. Was he with Betty? Had the blackhood hurt him? What about Fred? Since Archie had twice escaped the blackhood, that meant he was a target. And as upset with Archie she was, Veronica did not want him to die. "Veronica" Jughead said. Veronica turned her attention to him. "I'm sorry. I'm just lost" she answered. "I know" he said, and pulled her into a hug. "I'm worried about Betty and Archie" she said, letting go. Jughead looked down and back up at her. "They're probably together" he said, sighing. Veronica nodded. "Come on, I'll drive you home" Jughead offered. Veronica followed.

     Jughead dropped Veronica at the Pembrooke, and she dismounted from the motorcycle. "Thanks Jug" Veronica said, realizing she had never called him that. "Of course" he answered. Veronica began to walk up the steps. "Wait!" Jughead yelled as Veronica whipped her head around. "I'm sorry" he said. "I know I crossed a line when I kissed you" Veronica walked back down towards him. "It's okay. We just can't do this right now" she said. Jughead nodded and climbed onto his motorcycle as Veronica turned back toward her house and made her way up the steps and inside. Jughead, feeling heartbroken, began to feel tears drip down his face. He wiped them away, and got back onto his motorcycle and drove away.

     The next morning when Veronica got up she got a call from Archie. She felt stupid picking it up, but she did. "Hey" she said into the phone. "Hey Ronnie. As much as I think we need to talk, that's not what this is about" he said. Veronica began to worry. Did the blackhood do something to Fred Andrews? "What is it then?" she asked him. "It's about Jug" he said. Veronica began to shake. "He got into an accident last night. Come to the hospital" Archie's words were clear as day, but they felt blurry to Veronica. "I'm coming" she said as she hung up the phone. And Veronica, although still in her silk pajamas, climbed into the front seat of Andre's car and drove.