6.

I waited impatiently outside of the classroom Manik was in, taking his math test. They would get an email in an hour or so after completing the test on their grade. Yesterday, we came to the agreement to hangout until the email was sent out.

When Manik walked out of the classroom, I merged in beside him.

"How do you think you did?" I asked.

He shrugged, "B-, probably."

"That's not bad."

"For my grade, it'll do." He agreed. "As for me? It'll suck."

"Why?"

"Our deal was B." The bet. I had almost forgotten about that

"Oh... Well, you won't know for sure for another hour!" I said encouragingly. He shrugged instead of replying with words.

As we watched a rerun of Criminal Minds in his dorm, it became evident just how nervous Manik was for the outcome of his grade.

"Why is school so important to you?" I asked, bluntly, then my stupidity resulted in a face-palm. "Sorry, that came out wrong. Why can you not fail a single class, besides the fact you'll get thrown out? You don't seem to enjoy it, so why stick around?" I replayed what I just said in my mind, before I concluded aloud, "That made no sense."

"I get it." He chuckled, taking his eyes off of the tv to look at me from the opposite side of the couch. "I hate school, more than anything, like it's just so hard for me to learn and comprehend; it always has been because..." Manik trailed off hesitantly. "I'm dyslexic. Don't tell anyone though, please."

"My lips are sealed." I promised. Who would've ever thought Manik Malhotra, the womanizer at Stanford, had so many deep secrets?

"That's why I suck ass at all of this stuff you're tutoring me. I can't give up because my mom, Nyonika - she pulled a lot of strings to get me here and I don't want to let her down. I want to make her and my sister proud."

I smiled, thoughtfully, at him. "You know, Manik?" I looked at him. "You're not half-bad of a guy, after all."

Manik's POV-

I don't know why but I was genuinely happy that she accepted me.
My ex-girlfriend from when I was fourteen couldn't even handle the fact I was dyslexic. That's the main reason she broke up with me. Not just because I was an ass, but also because I was labeled as stupid by society.

I shook the thought out of my head and returned to watching the show.

There was a few minutes left when the default ring of an email came from my phone.

I quickly fumbled to get it out of my pocket.

There's only two categories of people that email me - my family (Nyonika or my sister) or my teachers. Though it could be my sister or mom trying to contact me, I was going to go out on a limb here and assume it's my math professor.

I opened the email and it read:

Mr. Manik Malhotra,
I was highly impressed with your test score. You earned yourself a successful 86%; B; 43/50. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

- Professor Raghav .

A huge smile made it's way across my face as I turned to Nandini.

I get to go on a date with her!

"So, are you free Saturday?" I said with a smirk on my face.

"No way?!" She yelled, enthusiastically. I flashed my screen to her for proof and she grinned. "Awesome, Manik! Since it was our deal, yes, i am free on Saturday. I have a 4 o'clock test."

"Great. I'll pick you up at 7."

"Okay." She stood up and stretched. "Well, I should get home. See ya."
"Bye, Nandini . I had a nice time today. We should really hangout more often." Before she could ask the same question she always does, I continued. "And, no funny business."

A light chuckle escaped her lips. "Me too."

As soon as I saw Nandini walking out of the dormitory building, I ran to the elevator and took it down to Cabir's floor.

While I impatiently went down each level, I replayed everything's that's happened all in one afternoon.

I made it to class on time, I may have made a friend, I smiled for real, I got a B on a test, without cheating for the first time since I was about 15, and...I told Nandini Moorthy; my tutor of a week, my entire life story.

I loved Raj like my own dad and I love Nyonika like my own mom. I would do anything to have my parents and Raj back though.

Since Cabir's door was unlocked, I allowed myself in. He'd learn to lock it eventually if he didn't want my unannounced presence.

"Cabir!" I yelled and plopped onto the desk chair.

His roommate Dhruv, who comes in a close second for biggest player here at Stanford, is basically never here, typically over in the girls' dorms.

"Yeah, Manik?" He rose his eyebrow at me as he emerged from the bathroom.

"I told her everything." I muttered. "From my dad to my dyslexia!" cabir and Dhruv were the only two people to know my whole story, aside from Nyonika and Niti of course. Now Nandini is added onto that list.

Cabir stood there, shocked. He stuttered to find words to stay. I was just as appalled as he was, I genuinely never thought I'd ever tell anyone else about my life.

But I told Nandini without even really thinking twice.

"Nandini?" He finally questioned. When I nodded, he stared at me with a knowing smile. "I think you have a thing for this girl."

"I don't, you asshole." I snapped. "I'm Manik Malhotra. I don't fall in love."

"You also never tell just anybody your life story." Cabir said pointedly, annoyance lacing his tone. "Manik, whether you'd like to believe it or not, this chick isn't going to be a random girl and dump."

I came here to clear my thoughts, and what does he do? Messes them up more. Unappreciated.

"I hate you, Dhawan." I grumbled.

"You too, Malhotra."

"Oh yeah..." I said remembering my grade, my voice sounding more confident. "I got a B on my math exam. Suck on that, bitch." I rubbed in my barely above average grade.

Cabir has undoubtedly gotten several better grades than that, but I was thankful that he let me have it this one time with no one minimizing my achievement.

"When's your next history test?"

"Next Friday."

"You're going to get a B+ because I'm a better tutor than your girlfriend."

"One more word, cabir." I warned, referring to him by his last name.

"Girl-" before he could finish, I tackled him to the ground.