09|Nine

"I WASN'T SURE I'D GET TO SEE YOU AGAIN.” Gerard grinned upon seeing Lyla step through the doors of the bar at which he worked. Clary and Isabelle looked around noting the other workers who had started setting up though it wasn't close to opening hours as yet.

"Well I'm quite unpredictable." Lyla smiled coyly tilting her head to side. The blonde stood at the same height the strawberry blonde did, his blue eyes twinkling. In truth after the girl had left him, he never thought she'd consider seeing him again.

"As you are... Can't say I'm complaining about it."

Lyla admitted the man was a fairly good kisser but that was as far as it went. He had served his temporary purpose and if it wasn't for the clue he had etched on his body she wouldn't have been back.

"We're here on business." Isabelle stepped forward. Gerard raised an eyebrow at the brunette before returning his gaze to Lyla who nodded in agreement.

"Where did you get the tattoo?"

"Which one?" Gerard asked, a smirk playing on his lips.

"The only one I was interested in." Lyla replied firmly, folding her hands across her chest. "Stop being difficult."

Gerard shrugged his shoulders "What is it to you?"

The strawberry blonde released a breath stepping closer to the man before her hands grabbed at the collar of his shirt. "I might not look it but you don't want to get me angry."

The man bared his fangs threateningly. "You don't want to get me angry." He emphasized. Clary and Isabelle stepped forward but the strawberry blonde waved them back.

Instead of quivering in fear the girl laughed softly. "Compared to what I've seen, you're like a care bear. If I scream at the right decibel level, I know it'll do damage. It could be small, a little blood from the ear or it could be worse, you ending up dead."

"The clave wouldn't risk breaking the accords."

"I'm not a shadowhunter. I can do as I please." Lyla wore a sweet smile but her eyes were dark and dared the vampire to try her. "Where'd you get the tattoo?"

Gerard stayed silent before shaking himself free from the girl's grasp. "The tattoo parlor a few blocks over." He glared at the three girls.

"Why did you get the tattoo?" Clary spoke up for the first time since thy had arrived.

"I already told the banshee. I was drunk, I saw it and I thought it was cool. Now get out."

Lyla pouted feigning sadness. "Kicking us out already?"

Gerard licked his lips, glare hardening "I don't take threats lightly."

Lyla shrugged her shoulders. "I guess we do have something in common." The girl backed away before turning to the girls and proceeded to leave. Once they were on the outside Lyla inhaled deeply turning to meet the eyes of Clary and Isabelle, but her eyes shifted to something behind the two girls.

"Do you smell that?" She asked cringing at the taste of smoke on her tongue. "I can smell and taste smoke." Her eyes shifted to a cloud of black wafting in the distance and as if on queue a lone scream echoed inside her head.

The others looked in the direction of which she had before turning to meet each other's gaze. It was an unspoken agreement so without wasting anytime the trio ran off in the direction. The closer they got the louder the crackle of the fire grew. Lyla stopped to catch her breath as her lung felt as if it was running out of oxygen though she was still a distance away from the burning building.