Chapter 3

Sugar Graham was the Chief of police in North Webster, even though it was only her and Frank Draper, one of them had to be in charge. She secretly hated the title of chief, but it was too late to do anything about it, everyone in town called her that.

She was tired of sitting, after a long day of driving up and down the peaceful streets of North Webster, and  wanted to go home and be just Sugar for the evening. She pulled up to her house and parked the squad car on the road, right in front of her front door. 

The house was dark and stuffy from being closed all day, so she walked around pulling up blinds and pushing up windows. She went to her bedroom and hit the button to turn on the window air conditioner, and dropped her belt full of helpful crime fighting doo dads on the table by her bed. After her shower, she put her wavy blond hair up in a wet bun and chose a tank top and pair of comfy cut off sweats to wear for the evening. Sugar was small, just like the other women in her family. Five foot three and as slender as a teen, she knew she was the exact opposite of a town cop.  But she had grown up in Texas preferring the company of her brothers' to that of her sisters'. She had learned to fight and shoot and hold her own in a boy's world, and she could never picture herself in a girly job.

She grabbed a yogurt and a bottle of water from the fridge. She would make something later, maybe a sandwich, she thought, as she stretched her small frame out on the couch and turned on the TV.

She watched the news of solar flares with uneasiness. She had asked the town council to make an emergency readiness plan for almost a year. I bet I"ll get blamed for not having one, she thought. She changed the channel to a rerun of a sitcom, and pulled her laptop from under the couch to research solar flares and F.E.M.A.'s website. She hoped this was nothing, but her chief senses were tingling.