Chapter III

If one were to explore the history of Asgardian Empire, he or she would be disappointed or unimpressed. It is probably because the history of this large, longstanding empire was based on a cult of personality- Odin, the heroic and selfless god-king. Here he was described as savior, who came and freed the galaxy from the chaos and destruction.

Well, some of the facts in this story were really true, because, when Odin took up the crusade on the Nine Realms, these civilizations really were fragmented and belligerent. Therefore, when Odin established his power over these territories, he also managed to stop the bloodshed, which was already happening across these nine planets. However, the history of Asgard was written by those, who won the war, but only few dared to remember that this war caused a brutal oppression of many other civilizations. Such people like vanirs and fire demons were defeated and subordinated, while, for example, dark elves faced the near extinction after the war with Borr and later with Odin himself. Giving special consideration to these events, Odin had earned reputation of a strong and decisive king both inside and outside the Asgardian Empire.

Nevertheless, for already more than one thousand years Asgard was considered to be peaceful. Actually, except for few insignificant turmoils. Frost giants of Jothunheim were the last civilization, who tried to overthrow Asgardian power by waging a war on countless regions in different realms. As a result they faced a tough defeat. It caused them everything, including their crown prince, who, apparently, was killed as a baby during the last battle. Now Jotuns served as an example, for others who would wish to challenge Odin's power, as Asgard still kept them isolated from other realms on Jotunheim. That is why the news about the enemy outside the borders of Asgard was not only surprising but also unexpected.

***

Frigga was the one, who sent for princes. She asked Thor and Loki to join them in the fireplace room shortly after the sunset.

Both, Thor and Loki, remembered this place with fond memories. It was cozy room with large red sofa and few massive padded armchairs, oak-wood flooring and magnificent fireplace in the back of the room. It was a place, where royal family spent evenings during princes' early childhood. There Frigga would read to her sons the stories of Asgardian heroes and sometimes their father would join them. He would watch Thor and Loki, as they would pretend to be those legendary heroes, while fighting with wooden swords. It was a happy time, before it all became more complicated, when both princes turned out to be very different in their nature.

 It was a happy time, before it all became more complicated, when both princes turned out to be very different in their nature

The sun had already set, as they found the room illuminated by warm yellow light. It came from the old familiar fireplace.

Princes found the royal couple by the fireplace, but Odin and Frigga had company. It was a young female. She stood near with the queen, who sat in one of the armchairs, while their father lingered by the fire, with his back turned against all of them.

Loki was the one, who slowed down, when he noticed the young woman. For some reason she made him feel uneasy. Meanwhile Thor kept walking and stopped just few steps away from his parents and their guests.