4. Training Days P1

Leo took in the diverse stations designed to prepare tributes for their battle to the death. Nyssa was next to him, and eyeing the snares station, he asked which one they should go to first.

To his dismay, Nyssa shook her head, "No offence Leo, but I'm not interested in an alliance."

Leo shoved his hands in his pockets awkwardly. He hadn't expected to be rejected. "Oh. Okay. Can I ask why? Am I too intimidating or...?"

She didn't even crack a smile, "No, joker boy. Alliances can only end with one dying or both. So what's the point? I'm not winning anyway."

He was stunned by her despair, "But if we work together, we could stand a chance. We made a freaking energy chariot together! I swear President Clair even stared at us a few seconds more than the others."

Nyssa shook her head, and some of her dark hair got loose from her red bandanna. "I'm sorry. I don't know if you can tell, but I've lost all hope already. You don't want to work with someone like that. It'd be like a curse." And before he could argue further, she walked away.

And to the weight-lifting station too, which he took as a personal insult since he'd once pulled a muscle while carrying a computer.

◼▲◼

"Do you want a four-way alliance?" Annabeth asked boldly.

The siblings swivelled to look her and Luke over. She remembered their names as Thalia and Jason from the recap of the reapings that she'd had to watch on the train ride. A sister volunteering to be with her brother seemed like a good sign to her.

Thalia frowned, "And what are we supposed to do when it's just us four?"

"It's not going to come down to that," Annabeth promised. "We'll break it off after, say, a week. And even if we're last, we'll avoid each other and see how the Gamemakers pick us off."

Thalia considered this, "That's pretty grim, but I guess it works. Are you in, Jason?"

Jason nodded, "Yeah, of course. What are your names?"

Annabeth introduced herself and Luke, and Thalia inclined her head in greeting. "I'm Thalia, and this is Jason. Why us, by the way?"

Luke answered, "The moment she saw you volunteer, she knew you were good people and wanted you on our team." Then he added, nudging Annabeth, "An alliance is a good plan, and she always has a plan. That's the one thing I can count on."

She blushed, "Stop it."

Jason pushed up his glasses, "So, Annabeth, what's your master plan?"

She smiled, leaning conspiratorially close, "Easy. Tomorrow Luke's going to join the Careers."

◼▲◼

"We should form an alliance," Rachel said, matter-of-fact.

Travis considered her merits. She was resilient and brave, and he was willing to bet she'd be great at camouflage. Also, she'd probably get gifts from their district in the Arena since her father was the mayor —

Right, she was the daughter of Mayor Dare.

What would it look like if he came home with her blood on his hands?

"Sorry, I'm going to have to say no. I know you're tough, but I want to get someone from a different district so we can bring more skills to the table."

Rachel scrutinized every part of his face. It made him feel like a defective car being disassembled, and he was quite certain she knew he was lying. "Fine," she said bitterly. "Have it your way."