Ep 5 - "Sand"

"Think I should press it now?" Rick asked. He was sitting before the Head Gamemaker's master control table, his hand poised over the green button — the one that'd set the arena in motion.

President Clair watched the cameras, trying to locate the blondie. "Do it," she said finally, "let's shake things up."

Rick turned around and addressed the other Gamemakers, "Cameras at the ready! I have a good feeling about this one."

◼▲◼

Annabeth ran straight back into the cave and began throwing their supplies together, knowing the rain would soon come flooding in.  Her allies quickly followed, and soon they were racing away from the acid rain.

Her heart pounded as they leaped tree roots and ducked under low branches. The shower closed in on them at the same pace as their running, so they were forced to continue on until it eventually stopped a half hour later.

Now they were in the middle of the forest after having been near the edge of it. The three collapsed against some trees, too exhausted to find a proper hiding place.

She couldn't see anyone around, but she made sure to keep an eye out. "Do we still have all our supplies?"

"Dropped a sword," Luke panted, "but I have another one."

Thalia had her head against the tree and lay there unmoving. Annabeth gently removed her backpack and looked through it. "Everything's here. We're lucky that our things weren't spread out all over the floor."

"We've got to find shelter," Luke said after a few minutes, standing up, "and set up some snares."

"I'll find shelter. You do the rest and we'll meet back here in an hour."

"Got it."

Annabeth crouched next to Thalia, "Thalia? How are you holding up?"

"Fine," Thalia rubbed her nose, then got to her feet. She still looked fierce, despite the grieving look on her face. "Don't worry about me. I want to survive too. Snares, you said?"

"Yeah."

"I'll get to it."

Annabeth tied an extra shirt around a branch to mark their meeting place, then they parted ways. They weren't near any caves this time, so she walked around, searching for a sturdy tree with thick leaves.

She suddenly heard a faint yelp and cursing from Luke.

Annabeth managed to locate him and ran over, "What is it?"

"Stay there," he was backing away from something. "There's a nest of scorpions under that rock." He was pointing at a flat chunk of stone by a tree trunk.

"How many?" she asked.

"Three, I think." Seeing her face, he asked uneasily, "What?"

"If they're venomous, we could use their poison."

He stared at her, "That's smart. So what's the plan?"

"Think you could hit them all fast enough?"

"I think so."

She walked up to the stone, ushering him closer. "I'll lift it up this way," she gestured. "Stand right beside me and stab them. The scorpions shouldn't be able to see where you are."

Luke unsheathed his sword, "Ready."

Annabeth hefted the rock, and he stabbed and sliced with his weapon.