2. Catching Up

Chapter Two
For people so keen on offering their help, they looked rather happy just sitting around doing nothing.  Edd grumbled to himself as he attempted to drag a heavy couch.  He couldn't lift it an inch!  To think he believed they would help them.  All the guys were debating which video game to start up.  Edd wasn't a gamer and they had been presents from family members, therefore they were all still in plastic.  Then Sara and Nazz were too busy playing dolls with Jamie.  That he didn't mind too much, though.  They were providing her attention that their mother couldn't because she was always at the hospital working.  "Hey, let me help."

Edd looked over to see Kevin walking towards him and the couch.  The raven haired boy nodded quickly and slipped his hands under it.  "Be sure to lift with the knees, okay?" Kevin instructed, doing the same, "Ready?  One...two...three!"  With loud groans the two of them lifted the heavy couch and inched their way toward the living room window which it would sit under.  Edd was appreciating the forced gym classes as he huffed.  If he hadn't attended them there was no way he'd last that long.  "You have my humble gratitude, Kevin." he smiled.  Kevin rubbed the back of his neck and sighed, "I was the one who offered to help, I don't want to look bad."

They proceeded to move the rest of the heavy furniture around while the day buzzed by.  And after opening a few boxes of clothes for the week, Edd turned to his friends.  "I appreciate the help, it means much to me and Jamie." he said.  It was hard to not use sarcasm, but sarcasm was a very rude thing.  "I suppose I'll see you all tomorrow -"
"Hey, let's order pizza." Eddy said, looking up from the game council.  The only thing he had set up.
"What?" Edd questioned.
"That sounds rad!  Yeah, Double D, let's get some pizza!" Nazz added.
Sara sat on the couch, "You can tell us about what you've been up to!"

Pizza wasn't Edd's favorite food, but everyone insisted so that was what they got.  Jamie certainly seemed to enjoy it.  "So, Double D, why'd you move away so suddenly?" Eddy asked, picking up his fourth slice.  Edd looked up from his only piece and sat up straight.  "It was a factor of many things." he shrugged, "My father got a job transfer to New York and my mother was pregnant with my younger sibling.  I also got accepted into a very prestigious private school."  His short friend scoffed and mumbled something that sounded like, "You could have at least told us."

"New York?" Nazz pressed excitedly.  "Tell us everything!"

"Well I lived in New York before moving here originally.  However that was Downtown New York.  This time it was Uptown." he started, "It was a very nice place.  My father ended up getting a raise and we suddenly had all the money in the world.  That would explain the car outside.  It's my parents' car.  Moving on, I ended up being the top student and completed with the highest test scores.  In fact, I'm only still in school because I felt that I should at least enjoy my Senior year."

He finished talking and everyone just stared at him, knowing he was leaving a lot of things out.  Kevin pressed the matter, "What about friends?  Girlfriends?"  Edd choked on nothing and stared at his plate with high concentration.  "No girlfriends.  But as for the subject of friends, I suppose I was too busy to make any.  Though there was this one person who bothered me quite frequently." he explained.  Ed spoke with a full mouth, "You're still friends with us, right Double D?"
Edd nodded, "That's right, Ed!"

"Well if you excuse me, it appears that Jamie has fallen asleep after today's excitement."  He stood up and picked up the little girl wrapped up in a ball.  "I'll see you all either tomorrow or Monday."