TAKE ME OR LEAVE ME

Tommy was sitting in the bar and I walked over to him. It was just me working and luckily there was hardly anyone. I poured some whiskey for him. 

"Your sister was here. She was worried. You and Freddie. It had made her sick She's all right, but in her condition, she needs peace. Women talk." I explained to him as I placed the bottle back underneath. 

"That is something they do." Tommy replied and I just sighed a lot. 

"She talked about you. She said you keep everything locked up." I continued and Tommy nodded his head. 

"Well, that's what men do." Tommy replied and I lit my cigarette. I could not believe his response. 

"Your sister's nice. I like her." I added before I took a puff of the cigarette. "It can't be easy for her. Her brother and her husband, fighting over the same thing. Men should talk, too." I explained and Tommy leaned forward. 

"To you?" He asked and I shrugged my shoulders as I held my cigarette in my mouth and made someone a pint. I handed it too them before I started smoking again. 

"Why not? I'm a barmaid. It's my job. Men always tell their troubles to a barmaid. Sometimes you don't even want to know." I explained and Tommy stayed quiet. "What is it you and Freddie are fighting over?" I asked him intrigued. 

"I'll meet you and Grace here at nine o'clock tomorrow morning." He answered changing the subject completely. "Did you buy a dress?" Tommy asked me and I nodded my head. 

"Yes. I bought a dress." I answered as I placed my cigarette in the ash tray. 

"Good." Tommy replied and I held onto his hand keeping him from leaving. 

"I need to ask you something." I stated and Tommy looked down at my hand before he made his way around the bar and into my private bar area with me, behind the counter.  "Any new revelations about me joining Peaky Blinders?" I asked him nervously.

"We are still in deliberation." Tommy answered and I did not know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

"Is there a time scale?" I asked him, he probably was not going to answer but it was worth a try. 

"Nine o'clock, tomorrow morning." Tommy instructed before he walked out. I smiled a little as I watched him completely intrigued by everything Tommy Shelby. 

___

Grace and I were getting ready in her apartment. I was applying makeup to my face, I was getting really nervous about it all. 

"Grace." I said and she turned around to face me, she was all ready. Her red dress matched her everything. I was wearing a red too but it was not like hers. It was more plain and simple. "I do not think I can continue with this mission." I admitted and Grace looked at me speechless. 

"Is this because of Tommy?" She asked me leaning on the table, I was sitting next too. I just shrugged my shoulders unsure. 

"I do not know where we are with each other but I know that I cannot continue this. I do not want to be a spy anymore." I sighed getting all emotional. Grace just hugged me and I tried to stop myself from crying. 

"Clara, if you resign their is a chance you can go to jail. You know that." Grace replied in a sympathetic tone. She knew that I had given up being a spy but she had to explain everything to me. 

"I would only go to jail for a month or so. Then I can be free from it all." I hoped but Grace shook her head. "I have a case, many women are fighting nowadays like Eugenie Mikhailovna Shakhovskaya or  Maria Bochkareva" I argued.