5. game of survival

Isla scowled at the sight in front of her.

     Elias had a girl on his lap, his lips locking onto hers like they were going to get at it right then and there. She wasn't usually bothered by public displays of affection—which happened a quite a few many times with Sabatier—but now that she knew for what he was, she was almost ready to knock that bloke's head off.

     Both Isla and Amber had a hard time touching their food.

    "Blimey," Amber muttered beside her, hand frozen gripping her sandwich. "They're really going at it, aren't they?"

     "It was worse in the library." Isla recounted the tale of earlier that day, when they had a session during a free period. Elias and the same girl had been snogging, right there in the middle of the library. Even when she slumped on the seat in front of them, their mouths latched onto each other like they were ready to shag and get on with it.

     It was only when she banged the table that they decided to acknowledge her presence. That earned her a glare from the girl, and a satisfied smirk from Elias.

     Apparently that wasn't the end of the show.

    "Speaking of, how's the tutoring?"

    "Miserable." Her nose scrunched up. "He's a slow learner at best, and sometimes I know he knows the answer, but I find that he fancies being an idiot."

    "I hope you weren't talking about me," a familiar voice said nearby.

     Isla's eyebrows raised, recognising the mischievous tone she'd only encountered a few days ago. Charles Graham was, indeed, standing over them, a loose hand in his pocket and a dashing smile on his face.

    "Sorry to disappoint," Isla smiled tightly.

     To her bewilderment, instead of walking to Elias's table—where he was seated with most of his lacrosse teammates—Charles sat on the seat right across from them.

    "Uh," she blinked. "What are you doing?"

    "Making new friends."

    "I can see that." Beside her, Amber had gone still, staring at Charles like he had grown horns and a tail. Isla sighed, realising she was alone to fend for herself. "Listen, Charles, I think you're a great guy and all—"

    "Why does it sound like you're breaking up with me?"

    "—but unfortunately, you're friends with Elias. And while I do enjoy our one-on-one conversations, this shouldn't be a good time right now. I mean, your mate's sitting right there."

    "Which is exactly why I'm here." He grinned. "I like getting under his skin, and from what I've heard, you do, too."

     Registering his words, Isla let herself form a slow grin. Being friends with one of Elias's best mates did seem like the perfect counterattack to Elias flaunting his new popsy around.

     It was working, in fact. Elias started noticing their table, his eyes strayed away for once while the girl tried pulling him into another kiss. His eyebrows were furrowed and he just looked baffled for a moment. 

     She savoured that look.

    "I'd also like to apologise on the idiot's behalf for his rude behaviour the other day. It wasn't very chivalrous of him."

     Isla turned her attention to him. "Chivalrous? That's the last word I'd use to describe him. Wanker would be the first in the list."