9. ice and fire

The dining hall was packed.

     It was one of the rooms she liked most in the Academy—not because of the food, although that was a strong incentive, but because of its architecture: deep mahogany walls, flickers of metallic gold, high windows illuminating the hall, and long tables stretched in front of them. The Academy's crest was displayed on the centre of the dining hall, the flag standing proud and tall.

    "Oh, I see Zélia over there!" Amber let out.

    Isla looked at where Zélia was sitting and back at her tray of edibles, realising something was amiss. "You go ahead," she urged. "I need to go back and peacefully protest for a fruit."

    "Always the healthy one."

     Getting into line wasn't difficult, but what was absolutely infuriating was how riotous the students could be. A mix of hungry underclassmen and Sixth Form students were huddled in one massive space and boundaries became nonexistent. At one point, Isla got pushed forward, just because she was two seconds late on advancing.

     Bloody animals.

     She finally got to her turn. A fresh apple caught her eye and she had it in the tip of her hands, but another bump! caused her to lose her grip. You have got to be joking

     Someone caught it.

     Behind her, a dirty blond-haired lad was holding her apple. "Forgot something?"

     Isla blinked. "Thanks." She squinted at him, recognising his features but not exactly being able to put a name to it. "Nice reflexes."

    "I try my best. Kingsley, right?"

     Alarm bells went off in her head. The two were already making a slight ruckus, not only because they were literally blocking the cafeteria line, but because everyone was curious as to which boy Isla Kingsley was involved with this time. Students near her leaned in.

    "And who may be asking?"

    "Hampton," the boy grinned. "Will Hampton."

     Will Hampton. There it was.

     The name she was looking for.

     He was in first year—same as the three girls—but she'd never fully crossed paths with him. She'd heard, however, of what he was known for: being Belfort Academy's personal black market. 

     Need to cheat off an exam, forge signatures, fake résumés, write a paper due last minute? He was the man for the job. Then there's the more risqué side of his business: some greens, a Rubber Johnny, cigarettes; Addys, Kiddie Cocaine, E and Nose Candy on the side.

    "I've heard a lot about you," she said carefully as she stepped out of the line. He followed suit.

    "I hope it's all good things."

    "Not exactly," Isla raised her brows, "if you consider being a part-time drug dealer."

     Will chuckled. "Well, I appreciate your bit of honesty."

     She returned his gaze, and a smile slowly crept up her mouth.

     When she got to the table, Zélia looked up at them in surprise. "I see you've met our mysterious companion."

     Isla frowned before realisation hit. "He's the one that's suppose to help us?" She turned to the boy in shock. "I didn't know that was in your job description."