Part 4

"Since I was scared and alone with two growing kids inside me," she told him.  "I'm not going to force you to go to church with us, David, but if you want to meet the boys then I suggest you go.  They are very involved in our church and it's important to them."

David shook his head, "I was just surprised that your Aunt Aggie finally got you through those doors."

Andi chuckled, "I don't think anyone was more surprised than Aunt Aggie, but I was scared alone.  It was rough when I found out I was pregnant.  I was afraid I would turn into my mother."

Guilt washed over him.  If he knew about Andi and the pregnancy nothing could have pulled him away from her.

Andi could see the guilt weighing heavily in his eyes.  "David, I honestly don't blame you for what happened.  The boys and I turned out better than fine."

"You're a strong woman," he admitted.  "I just feel robbed.  I felt robbed when my parents stole me away in the middle of the night and I feel robbed again knowing that he took me away from my kids."

"I'm sure your parents were just looking out for you," she told him.

"It wasn't their decision to make for me!"

"But there's nothing we can do about it now."

He stared at her in wonder before he said, "I want to do everything I can to make this right."

Andi smiled at him before grabbing her purse, "I should be going.  The boys will be home soon and they'll raid the fridge if I don't have dinner ready for them."

David wasn't ready for her to go but knew he couldn't keep her.  She had to go how to take care of their kids.

The next few days drew on for David.  He didn't have the time to visit Andi during the day with the constant stream of physicals he had, and she asked that he not come by the house until she was ready.

He wanted to see Andi, he wanted to see his sons.  So much time had been stolen away from them, but he had to wait until Thursday church serves to see them.  

He hoped that his khaki pants, blue button-up shirt and blue plaid tie would be dressy enough for a mid-week service.  The last time he'd gone to church was once when he was younger.  Aunt Aggie asked him to come along.  He'd hoped that it would be an opportunity to spend time with Andi, but when Aggie picked him up Andi was nowhere to be found.

The little white church at the top of the hill was within walking distance, like everything else in the town, and David took the opportunity to get some fresh air.  He'd hoped that it would help calm his nerves.  He wanted to make a good impression on the boys and wanted to be the perfect idea of whatever the boys had in their head, that their dad should be.

As he got closer to the church he noticed Michael standing at the outside steps of the church greeting everyone that was filing in.

"Hey, Doc," Michael smiled and put out his hand for David to shake.  

He took Michael's hand in his and gave a firm shake, "Good evening."

"My mom said you might be coming," he told him.

"She mentioned me?" He asked a little surprised.

Michael nodded, "Yeah, she said you guys were good friends in school.  She'll be glad you made it."

"Is she here then?" David asked looking up toward the door.

"If the doors are open she's here," he chuckled.

David noticed he was blocking the door and knew he needed to move on, "I'll go find her then, thank you, Michael."

Michael smile broadened, "You remembered who was who!  No one ever gets us straight except for mom and a few close friends."

David was ecstatic that he made a good impression on at least one of his sons, and had a hard time holding back a self-satisfied smile.

When he got inside the small church he scanned the auditorium looking for Andi.  To his dismay, she was in the center front row.  He was hoping to hide out in the back.  There was something about sitting up front that made him feel like he was sitting on the edge of a cliff ready to slip off at any minute.

He reluctantly went to the front row where Andi was sitting when her head bowed and an open Bible on her lap.

He slipped into the pue next to her, catching her attention.  She looked up and smiled at David as she delicately closed her bible, "You made it!"

"You didn't think I'd come?"

"I wasn't sure if something would come up at the clinic.  Doc Hudson had a hard time making it to Thursday evening services.  

"It was tight," he admitted, "but you said it was important to the boys. Speaking of which," he said looking around, "I saw Michael outside, but I don't see Gabriel."

Andi pointed up to the platform, "He's up there."

David followed her finger and saw Gabriel delicately playing the piano as everyone found their seats.

David didn't recognize the song, but he could tell Gabriel was playing flawlessly.

"He's amazing," he stated in complete awe.

Andi smiled, "Both the boys can play, but Gabriel enjoys it a little more than Michael does.  Michael would rather visit with everyone.  He's my social butterfly."

"You've done a great job, Andi, they're good boys."

She smiled, "They are good boys, but it wasn't me that made them that way."

David wasn't sure what she meant but he didn't get a chance to ask.  The preacher stood up at the pulpit and everyone hurried to their seats, including Michael, who took a seat amongst a small group of young men that were about his age.

I was comforting to see that the three of them got along so well without them, but a the same time, it made him feel like he'd missed out on so much.  It wasn't fair what his parents had done to him.  He hadn't called them yet to let them know that he had found out what they did, but he was planning on it, and soon.