Chapter 13: Truths

The next few days were a blur for Lance and his friends, as he and Nazar had to try and find homes for the newly cured elves.  It was a slow start, but soon the residents became to accept the newcomers. Lance was happy that they were all being welcomed, but he would have preferred they not call him their savior, or hero. He was only doing what was right, after all. Still, it was at least nice that Nazar had finally warmed up to Lance, and made him part of the community.

 However, while the elves were getting settled in Lance was not simply sitting around doing nothing. He, along with Azazel, were training vigorously every chance they had, honing their strength and swordsmanship. They trained for hours on end, and ached severely afterwards, but always enjoyed the sparring. Lance, though, wasn't satisfied with simply training with Azazel, and so, sucking up their pride, the two begged Terry to train them, to which he begrudgingly agreed. Yet, in the end, it appeared to the bystanders watching that the three were having fun together. Terry was impressed at how far Lance had come in such a short time, smiling as he spectated the battle between the boy and Azazel. Lance had just jumped over a slash from the demon and, instead of sliding across the ground like Terry had in their battle, he planted one foot firmly in the dirt, then kicked Azazel in the side.

 "That's enough training for today. We can pick it up again tomorrow." Terry called out, and the two immediately came to a standstill. The elf continued as they walked over to him. "How about we grab something to eat, then call it a day." He nodded to the now setting sun. It was hard to believe that they had been training all day, but the sweat and dirt which stained their clothing didn't lie. 

 A while later, the trio were sat down and eating a late supper consisting of fresh bread, pork and a pie filled with vegetables. Taking a long drink of water, Lance wiped his mouth and asked, "So, how do you think we are doing Terry? It feels as though I have learnt a lot just from watching you fight, not to mention the fact you are training me."

 Tilting his head to the side, the elf replied, "I am impressed by how quickly the two of you are coming along. You must both be natural swordsman. In fact, the way you combine my technique with yours is astounding. You balance yourself between offense and defense equally, and when I fight you I find it hard to pinpoint a weakness. Soon, we should start working on your magic, and hopefully build up your stamina and allow you to cast more spells." He then turned to Azazel, although had a hard time looking the demon directly in the eyes. After all, he was still wary of any trickery. "For you, your speed and the fact that you can spew forth flames is your biggest advantage.  That is, if the fact that you are a demon doesn't scare your opponent off. Intimidation is a key component for your fighting style, as any normal foe will not want to get close. That is when you can use your flames to hit them at a distance, which we have already worked upon in training."

 Azazel nodded in response, tearing off a piece of pork from his fork. "So all in all, it sounds like we have gotten a lot stronger. After a few more days, and of course packing provisions, we should be ready to head to the Valtheim Mountains, right Lance?"

 "Yes, that's correct." Lance nodded. "After all, no matter how happy I am that I have found my mother, I still need to save Iris, and avenge my father. Then," The boy smiled at Azazel. "I have to fulfill our contract, and kill Abraxas."

 "I still can't believe you are going to try and kill the demon lord." Terry smirked, shaking his head. "You're insane, but at least you will have a better chance at survival with all of the training you have received."

 "I could do with more encouragement and less negative thoughts from you, Terry."

 The trio laughed and talked some more, before Azazel told them he was heading off to bed for the night, saying that he was tired from the long day of sparring. Lance and Terry bid him goodnight, deciding to stay up a little bit longer.